Issue navigator query

Neeta Dubey April 6, 2014

I have to add two custom values 9 comments on deliverables and time spent in hours) to my issue navigator however when i search through issue navigator they still dont appear in my search result. I need those two coloums in serach result so i can export that into excel sheet.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2014

Are these fields global or limited to certain projects/issue-types?

If they are limited, then your search *must* be limited to the same, or Jira decides to hide the columns because they aren't relevant to some of the possible results. Try a really simple search for only issue-type X in project Y (ensuring that at least one of them has some data) and you'll see the columns appear.

Thanks for looking into this issue Nic.

These are not global fileds howevere shared among 3 projects.

I have created test ticket in tow projects with some dummy data. It appears in result when i add those coloums in issue navigator however when i check issue navigator again and serach so i can export that into excel those coloums disappar again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2014

So how is your really simple filter limiting the selected issues to just those three projects?

I'm not quite certain about the question you have asked however as a temp work around. i have created a filter and shared across the project team so they can export the data in excel however my question is If i add a custome field in any project and i want that field to appear in my search result Do i need to create a filter for it ever time?

project in (X, Y) and "Time Spent [in hours]" is not EMPTY or "Time Spent [in hours]" is EMPTY

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2014

I'm trying to confirm whether you have hit a long-standing design flaw in Jira. I'm not sure how else I can explain it though.

Please, run a simple filter. Pick an issue that has some data in the field you are struggling with.

Run a filter for "Key = <issue you have data for>". Please do not try anything else with this, or wander off again, just stick to running that filter. Once you have it showing the single line, check the fields selected for display.

if i set the filter as you have mentioned i do get those field in search result but the problem is i have set key as " ticket#"

In general search result there will not be only one ticket#. There could be "N" of tickets with that value field in. How to hadle in under such situation.

fileter query: key = 0530ca3634-10

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2014

Right, so that simple filter works. This confirms that the problem is (almost certainly) the search that you are running.

You need to change your search so that it only searches for issues that the field is valid for. It does not matter if there is any data in the field, it matters if the field exists.

You need to include "Project in (projects that field is valid for) AND issuetypes in (issue types field is valid for)" as part of your searches, or the field will vanish.

Another way to put it is "if you *might* include an issue where the field does not exist, then the field will not be displayed in the navigator"

Suggest an answer