Issue level secuirty and reporting

Ryan O Sullivan May 31, 2017

If using issue level security in jira. How does that affect users data view on dashboards

How doesa it affect JIRA  reports.

Example I have a query for issues created in the last 30  days which  is displayed as a chart on a dashboard.   Say there are 30  items  returned  but 5 are highly  sesitive and have issue level security applied.

As Admin I will  see all  thirty , as a regular user , with their dashbaord 

1) Only show 25 results

2) Show 30 in the chart but only allow view of the 25 the user has access to 

For a sprint report , with the same scenario what would a regular user see?

2 answers

0 votes
Ryan O Sullivan May 31, 2017

Thanks Nic, 

So 2 people could be at the same status meeting with different stats on the same report?

I guess it makes sense but it does seem odd

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2017

Yes.  It's one of the things you have to educate your users about if you do decide to use issue security.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2017

If a user cannot see an issue, then they get no information about it.  They can work out that it is or was there, as they will see a "hole" in the issue numbers, but nothing else.  They won't know if the 5 issues are secured or deleted, and the system will behave as though they've been deleted for that user.

So, it is excluded from reports completely.  Your reports will tell the unpriviliged user that there are 25 issues.  The numbers in the sprint report that that user runs will calculate everything off the 25 issues they can see.

Suggest an answer