Issue in creating a single board to pull tickets from multiple SCRUM and KANBAN projects using JQL

Karthiga Sethuraj July 18, 2017

I have one Project configured with SCRUM Board and I have three other projects with KANBAN board. I have developers working on multiple projects in various tasks across these boards. So I tried to create a new board using JQL that pulls tickets from both the SCRUM and other KANBAN projects. The query worked and I set up the new board as a Kanban board. The SCRUM and KANBAN projects have different workflows. But that doesn't matter as fas as the new board is concerned as it will only be used by devs internally to prioritize their tasks across these boards. 

The problem is that after creating the new board the backlog view of the existing SCRUM board is missing. For some reason it is displaying the SCRUM board as KANBAN. 

Could any JIRA expert throw some light on this issue please ?

2 answers

0 votes

The "backlog" view(that small icon itself) on the left side panel is not available anymore. No errors. When I am on the SCRUM board and when I hover over the First icon in the image below - it normally says "Active sprint" but now it dsisplays "Kanban board" 

In manage boards, the board type is still defined as SCRUM for that project.

This belwo screenshot is the left hand side panel of the SCRUM board wherein the backlog view icon is not showing up. I am not able to access my backlog anymore.

Capture.PNG

But the new Kanban board created using the JQL works perfectly and lists all the tickets from multiple projects. 

To resolve the "missing backlong icon", I have to delete the newly created Kanban board.

Please advise and let me know if you have any questions.

Also we dont have a Kanban backlog defined for any of the Kanban boards. Is that causing the issue ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

Hmm, that doesn't look right.  Is that display what you get when you go to the Scrum board via "manage boards"?

That is the view I get when click on Boards and select the SCRUM board from the dropdown with list of available Kanban and Scrum boards.

Capture1.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

It sounds like a bug, but I can't replicate it.  When I go to a scrum board with shared issues, I get the scrum backlog.

What version are you on?

Oh I see, but I tried creating the board twice and ended by deleting it each time. We are using cloud.

Do you want me to create a support ticket to address this ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

Definitely a support call, I can't diagnose what's going on with this.

Thank you for the quick response!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

What do you mean by "backlog view is missing"?  Not there?  Errors?

If the board is showing as Kanban, then it is Kanban, not Scrum, and I suspect you're simply looking in the wrong place. 

Or, do you mean that since you created the Kanban, the project view is just linked to the Kanban board first?  Can you select the Scrum board from "Manage Boards"?

Suggest an answer