Issue -> sub-issue -> sub-issue possible?

Stefan November 25, 2019

Hello,

is ist possible, for example with a configuration setting, to nest / pyramid sub-issues? Like this (since we have we the German version I am not sure if "sub-issue" is the official term, in German it is "Unteraufgabe"; maybe it is called "task" / "subtask"):

issue
             |            |
     sub-issue   sub-issue
      |                  |            |
sub-issue   sub-issue   sub-issue

Is that possible?

Regards
Stefan

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

Hi @Stefan ,

with these issues, it is not possible. If the goal is to create a hierarchy, you may use Epic->Issue-> SubTask.

However, in my understanding, a sub task should be a the technical work that a development team performs in order to complete the issue, which should be a product backlog item. For me, a sub task is defined to be small, representing no more than a few hours to a day of work. So I do not recommend to split up more. But it is depending of what your issues mean.

Hope it helps !

Stefan November 25, 2019

Ok, thanks.

Sometimes a subtask was missing something. So we have to add work to a subtask and the subtask is getting bigger. We thought iz might be nice to have the possibility to split the subtask and get a deeper hierarchy.

We will think about other possibilities.

1 vote
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

Suggest an answer