Issue getEstimate() API possibly incorrect.

The Issue API

https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/6.0.5/reference/com/atlassian/jira/issue/Issue.html#getEstimate()

States that

Returns
  • the "remaining estimate" of work left to be performed on this issue, in milliseconds.

However in development, I am finding that it is actually providing the "remaining estimate" in seconds?

Have I done something stupid, or are the docs wrong?

Thanks,

Jonny

2 answers

1 accepted

I've researched this further and am now convinced that Issue:getEstimate() returns seconds, as do other time based methods such as Worklog:getTimeSpent()

It is possible this is an option that can be changed, but regardless the API is not accurate.

My concern now is that after writing the plugin to deal with seconds, Atlassian will change the method inline with the API docs and break my plugin.

Regards,

Jonny

i think getEstimate() will return milliseconds only,

on which jira version you are testing on?

I suspect the docs are in fact correct, but I can't work out what I'm doing differently.

<jira.version>6.1-20130626</jira.version>

I am using the Report Module and printing out issue.getEstimate() in a velocity file. After setting remaining time to 1 Hour, it prints 3600, which is clearly 1 Hour in Seconds.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 23m ago in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

6 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you