Issue filter "Sprint" filters all subtask issues

Roman Meister June 8, 2022

On the issue navigator > advanced issue search i can filter by different fields. 

Filtering by status (e.g. 'in progress') returns all issues in said status. Correct

Filtering by Sprint, returns only all non subtask issues, regardless whether i also filter for issue type and include all kinds of tasks. And yes, the subtasks are also assigned the same sprint.

(for the sake of completion: the second bug issue in the screenshot a does not have a sprint assigned, so that's fine)

1. Is there a way i can actually filter by sprint and not also filtering subtasks? 
2. Why does the sprint filter do that? 

Thanks in advance. 

Without "sprint" filter

a.png

With "sprint" filter

b.png

2 answers

0 votes
Roman Meister June 20, 2022

Our sub-tasks do have a 'sprint' field. And that particular sub task i am missing, when using filter as mentioned above, has this field, and the correct sprint selected. 

That's why i am confused.  (; 

I actually believe this is a bug, since i can see all of the issues in this list, including the one i was missing when setting the filter. Once i apply the filter, it's gone. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

This happens because sprints are handled by having a sprint field on the issues.

Sub-tasks are not sprint items themselves, they are a piece of their parent issue.  Because of that, they do not have a sprint field.

There's an argument that you don't care what sub-tasks are on issues when you're reporting on a sprint, but I'm not convinced.

This is a flaw in the reporting in Jira, I think you should be able to search for issues by sprint, although the sprint field in a sub-task would have to be a lookup to what sprint(s) the parent issue is in.  That's how I do it with scripted fields anyway.

Roman Meister September 21, 2022

Thanks for the reply. 
Put this aside at first, and tried to manage without the filtering. Managing the management tool. 

Anyways, the sub-tasks do have a sprint field.

I agree.
And i honestly don't care what needs to happen in the background for jira to get all issues, regardless of type (lookups).
I expect a filter to be self-explanatory, and not filtering more than the name would suggest. Let the user decide by adding more filters like `Type`, which actually exists... 
(Same goes for the board view: "Group by: `None`" -> all the subtasks are gone.. )

I hoped being able to avoid wasting time to get into SQL JQL, but since i don't see any movement also on other issues from Atlassian, i don't think there's another choice. 

Thanks again! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events