Issue due date and time?

Matt Richards May 2, 2014

When I add a due date, the system actually records a time of 12:00 AM. How do I select a due date and time when creating / editing and issue?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2014

Due dates don't have a time element, they're just a date. So I'm afraid there's nothing you can do.

Matt Richards May 7, 2014

Ok, not the answer I was looking for but it is what it is.

If this is the case (which it is) then it would be nice that watcher email that is created when a new issue is created did not include a fixed time of 12:00 on the date fiels.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

Hi,

I think that you have changed the format of dates.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

That won't help, as due date is a date only.

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

But, i think that it can add a custom field date time type and set it with the value of the due date with time

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

@Nic Brough,

yes it's right what do you say, due date is date type and not date time type.
I paid no attention.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2014

Of course you can add a custom field. But then it's not the due date.

Prathamesh Patel February 10, 2020

so are you satying JIRA forgot to add the most important feature and never cared to add it after looking at the forums of people getting mad at it?

Like # people like this
Jan Bares March 1, 2021

This is really bogus explanation. I want to bring Service organization that depends on delivering at specified time, so I have to create workaround with some custom field and still explain to people why the should Jira and not other systems that already care for it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

It's not a bogus explanation.  It's an explanation of how it is.

Not why.

I would guess that the why is because most people don't consider time when talking about due dates for things.  How often do you hear "that will be done by 3:15 next Tuesday" as opposed to "that will be done by Tuesday"?  It's very rare to hear a time something should be due, so the system field doesn't bother.

Due date is also not something I would use in a service organisation, I'd be looking at using SLAs and queues to handle when something needs doing by.

Suggest an answer