Issue description missing in new view?

Jonathan Huang June 24, 2019

An issue's description is not visible in new view. If I switch to oldIssueView, I am able to see the description

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2019

Hello Jonathan,

The only setting that could hide the description field only in the new issue view would be the Issue Layout setting.

Please, perform the steps below and check if that's the case:

- Navigate to your project > Project Settings > issue Layout

- Drag the description field from Hidden Fields to the Description Area

- Click to Save your Changes

If the steps above didn't work, please let us know the browser you are using and any errors returned in the Javascript console of your browser, so we can probably troubleshoot it.

Liz March 30, 2020

The description field is not visible in the list of hidden fields. I can only see it on the old view.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2020

Hello @Liz

Can you please confirm if you are using a Classic or Next-gen project? 

Additionally, please provide us with two screenshots:

- One screenshot of your issue view, not displaying the description field

- Another from your issue layout under Project settings

Liz March 31, 2020

Hello @Petter Gonçalves we are using a classic project. We are working on migrating from Jira server to Jira cloud. We have run a test migration and are now testing we can do all the same stuff. 

Please see screenshots attached. 

Liz

issue configure.pngissue view.png

Jill Levenson April 8, 2020

I'm experiencing this as well, and cannot seem to find a single Settings or issue view control that will resolve the issue. I see that Petter from Atlassian last responded on 3/31.

On my team, we have several projects all in the same workspace. Some of those projects are set to next gen (like mine) and some are still classic. When I go to review a story from a project that is set to classic, I still have the next gen view but I am unable to see critical fields such as description.

if these two project types (next gen and classic) are not compatible, we should not have been able to configure them both in the same workspace.

Need a fix for this ASAP.  Please advise.

Like george likes this
Liz January 4, 2021

This is still an issue, and now I have a notification saying the new view will replace the old one, at which point I will lose the description of all of my issues!

Like Andrzej Martyna likes this
Liz January 4, 2021

As an update, I believe I might have fixed this. The issue appears to be that I didn't not have (no idea why) "Description" as a field in the "View issue" screen configuration. 

Like Joe Wevers likes this
Miriam Hopton October 12, 2021

This was happening to me! We were moving tickets from one service desk project to another and the description was not displaying for the external users on the portal. I noticed when you move the ticket, the request type is BLANK.

To fix the missing description: you have to set the request type value and then the description will appear! Easy hack/fix but its works.

Ideally, the description should not drop and migrate over as the description is a default field in tickets.

Lin-Hao Chen October 14, 2021

Miriam, how do you mean by setting the request type value, care to shed some light on it?

Thanks

Miriam Hopton October 14, 2021

@Lin-Hao Chen When it copies to the other project, the request type is blank. Click on the Request type field and pick the appropriate one:

1. Null Request Type

Request Type_None.png

2. Select the Request Type (to fix)

Request Type_select value.png

See the first attachment "Request Type_None" and the 2nd picture  "Request Type_select value", illustrates selecting the value to apply.

Suggest an answer