Issue cannot set in progress!

Rumceisz November 4, 2012

Hi All,

we met a weird problem: there are a dozen of issues created which are in Open status. The problem is that we cannot set to In progress status - however the transition exists and there are NO conditions or properties on the transitions. All the users who tried it, have the particular permissions to do.

I tested the workflow on a different project and it worked: we could set the In progress status and saw the View workflow.

Summarized:

- The transition has no properties

- the transition has no condition

- The users have the particular View workflow rights and rights to set the In progress status

- The 'Start progress' button and the 'View workflow' link is hidden!

What can be wrong????

Thanks in advance!

Rumi

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2012

>however the transition exists and there are NO validations, properties on the transitions.

"Conditions" are the things to look for on transitions. Validators check data as you go through the transition and properties beloing to them. Conditions are the thing that hide the transition when someone does not match.

>cannot see the View workflow link

Check that the permission scheme for the project has "view workflow" set for your users

Hi Nic,

condition is OK.

What else can be the problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2012

Are you entirely sure the condition is correct? Can you tell us what the condition on the missing transition is?

Hi Nic,

there are 2 conditions:

Only users in group A and group B can execute this transition.

the involved users are in one of that groups so conditions are OK.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

Hey, maybe you have the same problem someone mentioned the other day:

How are those conditions linked? With "AND" or with "OR". If they are combined as AND users have to be in BOTH groups...

With "OR" of course

the weird thing is that the same workflow applied on a different project works fine. Si maybe the problem is not behind the workflow but others

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2012

Mmm, you did say "group A and group B". Are you sure? Two lines, with OR?

Can you try an alternative check - try putting a user in both groups and see if they get the option?

Rumceisz November 5, 2012

I erased all conditions and the issue STILL cannot be transitioned to in progress!!

See the picture above!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2012

Ok, time to look elsewhere - does this workflow work for other issues? I mean in the same project.

What do you get if you run the integrity checker? Transitions vanish if the issue has a damaged status/workflow and the integrity checker can find and fix it.

Rumceisz November 5, 2012

Hi Nic,

you're right: the workflow works in a different issue within the same project!

How do you mean the issue has a damaged status/workflow??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2012

It's a long dull story, which I won't bore you with. The end result though, is that the current status of an issue is held in TWO sub-systems, and it needs to be the same in both. If it doesn't match, Jira gets confused and can't handle it, and throws lovely mysterious errors in odd places, while simply denying the users any transitional actions, and yet not actually telling them why.

The integrity checker will find and fix these...

Like Fabian Wagner likes this
Rumceisz November 6, 2012

Hi Nic,

thanks for the details. Any guess what can cause/trigger the difference between the 2 sub-systems?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2012

Failed workflow migration, a system crash right in the middle of someone committing a transition, someone still trying things just as you're about to upgrade, or possibly network glitches. More recent versions of Jira are far more resistent to those errors, but they can still happen. I looked after a Jira that developed maybe one of these a week on Jira 3.0.3. Upgraded to 3.6 got that down to less than one a month, and 3.10 got it down to 1 every 3-6 months.

However, by a long way, the main culprit is people trying to be "clever". Changing things in the database is the main source of me getting contracts to undo the damage caused by "clever" people. Not far behind them are people who think it's clever to change the end-point of a transition while it's still running (custom plugins providing post-functions that mess things up)

On the bright side, it's usually easy to eliminate the "clever" things - if you trust your admins not to install badly-written plugins and your database people to not hack the database, it's all good.

But there's always a handful of these I never tracked down. It's vast amounts of effort to find something that might not even be reliably reproducible, so, as a proper Engineer, I gave up - it wasn't worth the time!

I would

1. Check that no-one has database access
  2. Check that no-one is installing broken plugins
  3. Give up on the rest as "too resource intensive to find", run the integrity checker at a quiet time and fix them that way.

Ok, many thanks!

I run the integrity check after hours and response

0 votes
Najme Esmaili April 23, 2019

@Rumceisz Hey, were you able to resolve this issue?
I am also facing the same issue. I have created a custom issue type and workflow, there is no condition or other properties and yet not able to do the transition!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2012

Both of those go through the internal API, so they shouldn't cause this problem.

0 votes

Hi,

one part of the issues were created manually and a couple of issues were cloned, so basically yes..manually all of them

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Were the issues created manually through JIRA, or did you import them either through CSV or another program?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012

Hey,

have you checked the "properties" of the workflow transition? Sometimes permissions can be "hidden" there. The view workflow is tied to the "view workflow permission" in your permission scheme...

Cheers Christian

The project lead cannot see the workflow however he has the right in the permission scheme!

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012

You're sure that you tested the other projekct with the same permission scheme?

I am pretty sure, yes.

Suggest an answer