Issue assignment to a team

Jira Softera May 17, 2021

Hello,

We're facing a problem after Jira upgraded to 8.16.0 version. Users noticed, that after assigning issue to a team it still shows up in worklog as unassigned issue. Before the upgrade issues were visible only for users, who are members of a team, to which it was assigned. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

You do not assign issues to a team, you assign them to a single person.

An unassigned issue is one that has no assignee set.

In Advanced roadmaps, you can associate a team with an issue, effectively saying that the issue needs to be dealt with by that team, but that's still not an assigned issue.

Check the "unassigned" issues assignees, I expect you'll find them to be, well, unassigned, missing a named person in the assignee field.

Jira Softera May 18, 2021

Thanks for an answer.

Maybe I didn't formulate question correctly. What I meant was, when you associate team with an issue, it used to disappear from the worklog filter. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

What worklog filter?

When a worker looks for issues, he can choose filters:image.png

If he uses My open issues filter, he also sees issues, which are associated but not assigned.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

My open issues reports "assignee = currentUser() and resolution is empty", it does not look at team. 

(Also, this list of pre-defined filters is nothing to do with "worklog" so I'm wondering if you've used the word for the wrong thing, or whether you really are thinking of worklogs)

Sorry, English is not my native language.

User also mentioned, that he can see unassigned issues here:image.png 

What I need to find out is it possible after associating issue to a team,  to make it visible only for people, who are members of a team? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Ok, I need to be careful with my words here, as I am going to talk in Jira-speak, rather than plain English.

Are we talking about visibility here, or searching for the issues?

In Jira-speak, visibility is about whether an individual person can see an issue entirely.  The search question is "does this come back in the results when I ask a question"

It's more of a visibility issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

So your users cannot see the missing issues, no matter how they look at them?  

If that is the case, then you need to have a look at the project's permissions and the issue security scheme for it as well. 

Filters are irrelevant if you can't see the issue at all (because no matter what you search for, it's not going to expose an issue that is secured away from you)

Jira Softera May 19, 2021

As I mentioned before the problem is quite the opposite. Users can see issues they shouldn't see - after associating issue to a team, other teams still sees issues. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

OK, that's not what you answered before, you said it was about visibility and that people were not seeing things.  That's reversible though and has the same answer - if people can see things that should not be visible to them, then check the project permission scheme and the issue security scheme, either you're letting them see a project they should not, or you are not setting the right security level on the issues.

However, I think it's still confused as to what we're actually talking about  I really need you to tell us which thing we are looking at exactly.  Visibility of the issues, or what comes back in search results?

Jira Softera May 19, 2021

Let's just say there are 2 teams A and B. Issue is created and everyone can see it. Someone associates issue to a team A. After associating issue to team A, team B still can see issue. Before upgrade if you assign issue to team A, team B cant see issue in search. I'm sorry for miscommunication. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2021

I understand that, what I am asking for is for a clear explanation of what you mean by "see" - do you mean visibility (the users can see, or not see, an issue) or searching (a user can see the issue, but it is, or is not, being returned in the search results)

Let me put it another way.  Take an issue that a person should be able to "see" but is not in the search results.  Let's say it's ABC-123.  As that person, check that they can see the issue by going to https://<your jira>/browse/ABC-123 - is the issue visible there or do they get a permission or not found error?

Jira Softera May 21, 2021

Hello, sorry for the late reply. User can find the issue without any errors. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Ok, great, thank you!  So it's the search.

My Open Issues runs JQL that you can replicate with "assignee = currentUser() and resolution is empty"

Can you try that, again as the user that is not seeing it, and see if your missing issue is in the results (I do not think it will be).  Then go to view the issue directly, and check what the assignee and the resolution are.

Jira Softera May 23, 2021

Hey, thanks for the reply. If I search with the "assignee = currentUser() and resolution is empty" that user can't find the issue. If I go directly to the issue itis unassigned and delegated to a team it is associated. User for issue search uses this filter: filter in("Support SD Team All Main Issues Filter") AND filter in ("To Do Issues Filter") AND is EMPTY

Is it possible to solve the problem without modifying the search filter?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

What problem?  Your (standard) search for "open and assigned to me" returns issues that are unresolved and assigned to the current user.   It does not return issues that are resolved or not assigned to the current user.

I think you are looking at a different search, because you say

>If I go directly to the issue it is unassigned and delegated to a team it is associated

The team field has nothing to do with the "open and assigned to me" search.  The fact the "missing" issue is unassigned means it can't appear in a search that says "assigned to me".

There does not appear to be any "problem" here, you just aren't using the right searches to find what you're looking for.

Jira Softera May 25, 2021

Last question.

Is it possible to filter out one Tempo team?

Our Jira has 8 Tempo teams and the user asks 7 team issues to be visible in search (until assigning them to a user), and they just want 1 team NOT to be visible in search after associating it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2021

Use the Tempo search functions at https://help.tempo.io/cloud/en/tempo-timesheets/tempo-tips-and-tricks/tempo-jql-functions-for-advanced-jira-search.html - you'll want something like "team.id != team-tp-exclude" as a clause in your search.

Suggest an answer