Issue Type for issue with id 'xxxx' is null.

MarcosQ April 17, 2017

Hi.

I'm trying to Add an existing workflow to a project. During the step "Publishing workflow scheme " I receive the error 

WORKFLOW ASSOCIATION ERROR
There are errors associated with issues that are to be migrated to the new workflow association.
These errors must be corrected before the workflow association can be completed.
No changes have been made to the database.

Errors

Unable to determine the current issue type for issue 'XXXXXXXX'.
Unable to determine the current issue type for issue 'XXXXXXXX'.

When I tryed to search for the issues on the error I get error 500:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Issue Type for issue with id '426508' is null.

I have run the integrity checker with no luck.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2017

Ouch, that sounds like one of those times when something goes bang in the middle of an update and there's nothing you can do (the apocryphal story about the cleaner pulling out the plug so they can run the hoover, just as one of your users clicked on an issue edit)

I usually avoid it, but I think you may want to update the database.  Take JIRA offline before you do this, but

select * from jiraissue where issuetype = null

check all the returned issues are your XXXXXX ones

update jiraissue set issuetype = 1 where issuetype = null

You might want a different number - I've picked 1 to set them all to the default in JIRA, but you should use a valid id from your issuetype table.

Once you've run that, restart JIRA, and re-index the project the issue was in (or projects).

hellboy007 February 6, 2019

delete all issues on dev server can help better

Matthew Harkins September 10, 2019

There is a subtle difference on a null check for some databases. If you are backed with a postgreSQL database you may need to use a different form of the queries :

select * from jiraissue where issuetype is null;

update jiraissue set issuetype = 1 where issuetype is null;

Suggest an answer