Issue Security Scheme: Allow users to log/plan time on issues not assigned to them

Jason Herz November 23, 2020

I have created an Issue Security Scheme which allows users with the 'restricted user' Project Role to work on Issues based on this documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html

Everything is working great except NOW we want those 'restricted users' to be allowed to plan and log time on issues in the project to which they're given access, whether or not the issue is assigned to them.

I'm curious if anyone can help me, any kind of fix or advice is much appreciated. Like, can I somehow give 'watchers' the ability to log time, which could override the restricted user limitation? 

current scenario:

Mary has the 'restricted user' role on Project A (ISSUE-123)

Mary works on an issue and assigns it back to the Project A Lead, but forgot to log time

Mary opens Tempo to log time but when typing in the Issue field for ISSUE-123, she sees the following "No issues were found matching your search"

hopeful outcome:

Mary can log time against any issue in Project A at any given time (whether it's assigned or not)

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Jason

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Jason Herz ,

When you create a security scheme on Cloud, you need to add the "atlassian-addons-project-access" role to each security level. Without this, add-ons like Tempo have no access to the issue (the security level affects them in the same way as users).

Please take a look at https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/328991338/Issue+Security+Level for more information.

Best regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team 

Jason Herz December 1, 2020

@Susanne Götz _Tempo_ I do in fact have the "atlassian-addons-project-access" role assigned to each security level. The issue is that when the user is NO LONGER assigned to the issue, they can not log or plan time against it.

Your link gave me a bit of insight. The note at the bottom of the answer row states "With regards to logging time, users who do not have permission to view issues will not be able to log time against them as a general rule."

This gives me the understanding that since the user cannot see issues that are not assigned to them, they will also be unable to log time against those issues. This appears to be by design, which therefore answers my question, the answer being NO, we cannot allow users to log or plan time to issues they are not assigned to (and cannot view).

Can you please confirm this is the case?

Thanks,

Jason

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Hi @Jason Herz,

Yes, you are correct. 

If the user is in a group where the Security scheme applies, so he can not view the issue in JIRA, he can not log work (or plan time) against it. 
This is the behavior both when logging via Tempo or when using the native JIRA Log work option.

Best regards,
Susanne

Jason Herz December 2, 2020

@Susanne Götz _Tempo_ Thank you for your quick responses. You've answered my question.!

Thanks,

Jason

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events