Issue Links and Parent Link

Karthikeyan Murugesan March 10, 2018

Hello,

We are using both Issue links (realizes/realized by) and also Parent Link field to enable JiRA Portfolio. At times we are seeing mismatch between issue links and parent link as user sometime not linking the right parent in both the links.  We need help with some jira schedulers that can sync the values from issue links to Parent Link so that both are pointing to the same parent issue. Please share your suggestions.

2 answers

1 vote
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2018

Hi Karthikeyan,

Which versions of Structure and Portfolio are you using?

The latest versions of Structure actually integrate with Portfolio and support the Parent Link! You don't need to replicate the Parent Link with Issue Links -- unless you're using older versions.

If you're familiar with Automation feature, Structure has an extender "Child Issues (Portfolio)" to build the hierarchy down from the top-level items and a grouper "Parent Issue (Portfolio)" to add a higher level on top of Epics. These generators are also able to interpret your drag-and-drop actions to change the Parent Link in Portfolio.

If you have any questions about using these features or need help, please open a support request at https://support.almworks.com

Hope this helps!
Igor

J Manas Kumar December 30, 2019

hi @Igor Sereda [ALM Works]  Like parent Field , can we create a custom field which does the same requirement like Parent Field? in which we can get Issues from which we can set an issue as parent issue, like we do in Parent Link Field.

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2019

Hi J!

Thanks for your post.

Can you clarify whether you're looking to use Structure to create a custom field similar to Portfolio's Parent Link field or you need a way to create a field in Jira that's similar to the Parent Link field without using Portfolio?

Perhaps you can elaborate more on your use case so I can better assist you.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

J Manas Kumar January 1, 2020

Hi @Vlad[ALM Works]

Thanks For you reply, i need 2 Help :

1 : - you need a way to create a field in Jira that's similar to the Parent Link field without using Portfolio - How this is possible?

2 : - i need to Link one Issue to Another Issue but not as Parent Child Relation, how to do that ? i mean i dont want to use Parent Link Field .. i found one option Called Issue LInked(Blocked, Relates To etc type), can we create using Linked Issue? And if we can create using Linked Issue , Then rather than Naming Linked Issue can i gave my Own User Defined Custom name ?Design By.PNGHere you can i have created a Issue Linked , Designed For, what i need is that Designed For Should Come as a link when i am creating a Issue, Currently its coming as Linked Issue field , inside that i have Defined "Designed For".

That i need help.

Manas

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

Hi Manas,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Please note that I'm from the ALM Works and we develop Structure for Jira, an app that helps you visualize your issues according to defined hierarchies.

I'll start with direct answers to your questions but I will still need more information to help you with your initial request.

I'm not aware of a way to have the "Parent Link" without Portfolio. I did a quick search and that did not reveal any other apps that offer such relationship.

While Jira comes with some default link types, you can also create your own. The documentation below will help you with that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-linking-861253998.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "Currently its coming as Linked Issue field" but here's how you link issues in Jira:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/linking-issues-861257339.html

Initially, you mentioned that you had a problem where not all issues with a parent link also had linked issues and you mentioned to Carlos that you would at least want to be able to identify that scenario.

As Igor previously pointed out, Structure does integrate with Portfolio and Extend Generators can help you create a hierarchy where you can visualize both the Parent Link relationships and also the linked issues. 

I'd be glad to go over this in detail with you. Please reach out to support@almworks.com so we can assist you further.

Best Regards,

Vlad

ALM Works

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2018

Hi Karthikeyan,

If I understand correctly , it seems like your process requires setting the parent issue and the linked issues field to the same issue, which sounds redundant.  I like the "liked issues" and I use it frequently but to refer to a parent issues I would rely on parent issue.  Can you share more details about your use case, and why you would need both?  Thanks!  Carlos 

Karthikeyan Murugesan March 11, 2018

Hello Carlos, Thanks for your response. Here is my use case.

We want to use both JiRA structure as well as JiRA portfolio

JiRA structure works based on Issue links, so that Structure has the drill down from Epic to Stories and subtasks

JiRA Portfolio works based on Parent link. We need portfolio view to view the release timeline view and also to view the hierarchy from Epic to Stories

This is our use case. We can achieve this only by ensuring that both issue link and Parent link is set to the same issue. 

I need a way way to automatically sync the parent link based on issue link or at least I need a dashboard to show the mismatches to make the corrections manually.

Hope this helps

Like Anthony Dietrich likes this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2018

Hi Karthikeyan,

You may need a plugin to do this. Script runner extends JQL functionality .  There is another plugin, SQL for JIRA, that may be helpful too (converts JQL into SQL.)

Like Fidel Castro likes this

Suggest an answer