You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
Hello Jira Community,
I'm facing an issue with using regular expressions (regex) in Jira Automation to link one issue to another based on a custom field. I'm having trouble getting the regex to work correctly in Jira Automation, even though it functions as expected on online regex testers like regex101.com and freeformatter.com.
Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve: I want to extract the last string after a slash (/) or an equal sign (=) from a URL (stored as text in a custom field). In other words, in the following inputs, the expected result of the regex should be "US-61" and "US-70," respectively:
I've been attempting to use the following regex pattern:
I've placed this regex within a smart value, so it looks like this:
However, it doesn't return any results in Jira Automation.
When I tested with two different regex patterns (one to capture the last value after an equal sign and another to capture the last value after a slash), it worked as expected.
Please keep in mind that I tested all these regex patterns in online validators, and they worked as intended.
Can someone help me understand why this regex pattern isn't working in Jira Automation and suggest a solution?
Thank you for your assistance!
I tried to use the following regex:
But it's not recognized as a smart value, unlike the previous one.
Here's the smart value:
Hi @Milena Prieto -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
First thing, context is important for solving problems with automation rules. I recommend posting an image of your entire rule, images of any relevant actions / conditions / branches, and an image of the audit log details showing the rule execution. Together those may help explain a symptom.
Next thing, what is the type of your field? Is it text, single-select, multi-select, etc.? The type of field can have an impact on the behavior of the match() function.
Next, what are the contents of your field, if it is text? Specifically, does it have any newlines, bullets, etc.? If so, that can impact the behavior of match. The work-around for that is to add a split on newlines immediately prior to the match call, with split("\n")
Finally, and perhaps most importantly for your scenario: the match function documentation states that the regular expression parsing is based upon the Java Pattern class. But it does not state what is / is not supported. You may find several community posts where a regular expression worked elsewhere but not in an automation rule. My recommendation is to use the simplest expression that could work, and test thoroughly. And if that still does not work, revert to simple text functions and variables, as needed.
Thank you for your help!
I followed your suggestion to try new regex, and this time, I tried one from Atlassian, which initially didn't work for my case. However, I made some adaptations and finally managed to make it work:
Grateful for the assistance!