Issue Created notification for specific Issue Type?

Pete Schwind Jr. June 30, 2013

I created a JIRA group For ‘Team X’ that contains the Dev members, Scrum Master and Product Owner (PO).

We want a notification that when either a new Story or Bug is created that we all receive notification. So the P.O. wants to know if the team enters a new Story or Bug so he can prioritize it. Conversely the team wants know when the P.O. creates a new story or bug so they can estimate it.

Basically I want to send a notification of ‘Issue Created’ to the ‘Team X’ group only if the issue type is equal to Story or Bug. Possible?

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pete Schwind Jr. July 7, 2013

I was able to create a filter that told the team and PO what they wanted to know and then set a daily subscription for the information. Worked great!

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Actually, this is possible but with some additional configuration. Use different workflows for the different issuetypes and throw different events from those different workflows. You can then use the notification scheme and add different groups in those events.

For example, use a "Story Created" or "Bug Created" event instead of the default "Issue Created" event.

Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

That's a good idea indeed, but it would only apply to workflow transitions, not for events such as Issue Commented or Issue Updated. Still is a good workaround! :)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

but it would only apply to workflow transitions, not for events such as Issue Commented or Issue Updated

Yup. Btw, he was asking about "Issue Created" which is thrown from a workflow transition ;)

Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Indeed, a post function on the Create Issue transition would do the trick!

1 vote
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

@Pete Schwind Jr

This is possible with Raley Email Notifications 

Here's an example of configuration that does exactly what you need.

Vlad | RaleyApps

1 vote
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2013

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately this is not possible without third party plugins and installing those is a Restricted Function in Atlassian OnDemand. We have an open improvement request to have that implemented in JIRA here: JRA-4742. I strongly recommend you to vote for it (so it increases it's priority), add yourself as a watcher (in order to get updates) and if you have the time please add a brief comment so our DEVs can get the customer's point of view on how this should be implemented.

Hope this information helps!

Regards,
Marlon

0 votes
JonasC January 27, 2016

Hi,

I created this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.koncis.atlassian.issue-type-notification-schemes/server/overview

By defining notification schemes as usual, you can create (with the plugin) issue type notification schemes, and thereby map issue types to notification schemes. 

For instance, Stories goes to project leader, bugs to Support Team, and so on.

I hope that helps you all.

Please let me know if you find any problems using it.

0 votes
Teja November 4, 2015
  1. First, if your group is not created, create it now
  2. Adding a custom event , such as "Project X Bug Created"
  3. Modify Notification Scheme for Project X to add this new event, and notify development-team
    1. Note, Notification Schemes are defined on a per-project basis, so go to Project X, Administer Project, and make sure you are modifying the correct scheme.
  4. To send notifications for a/multiple specific issue type(s), but not all, you will have to create a workflow, a workflow scheme to be used for these specific issues, and associate the two
    1. Go to your workflows, locate the workflow you're currently using for Project X, and click on the "Copy" link to make a copy
      1. Choose an appropriate name (Project X Bugs)
    2. This should bring you to the edit screen.  Make sure you're on the "Text" and not "Diagram"
      1. Click on the "Open" Step
      2. You should see the Workflow Screen and the Workflow Browser in the upper right - click on the "Create" transition
      3. Click on the "Post Functions" tab, and choose "Edit" for the Fire a Issue Created event function
        1. If this does not exist, you can choose "Add" and Fire the event you created in step 2
      4. Change the event to "Project X Bug Created" and update the function
        1. This means that with bugs, only those users associated on the Notification Scheme with the "Project X Bug Created" event will receive notifications when the bug is created.  If you would like the normal "Issue Created" notifications to go out as well, you will need to add those groups/users/roles to this notification as in Step 3 above.
    3. Now you need to create the scheme for this issue type - click on workflow schemes
      1. Click Add Workflow Scheme and choose an appropriate name (Project X Bugs Scheme)
      2. Associate this with your new workflow (Project X Bugs), for issue type Bugs (or as many as you would like)
      3. Associate another workflow, your original for Project X, with All unassigned Issue types
  5. Finally, you need to associate this new scheme with Project X, so that it knows to use your new workflow with Bugs, and the old workflow with everything else
    1. Click on "Projects" in the JIRA Administration menu, and choose Project X
    2. Scroll down to the workflow section, and click on the associated scheme
    3. Click "Switch Screen" and choose your newly created scheme Project X Bugs Scheme
  6. After all of this, you might want to do a background re-index
0 votes
Pete Schwind Jr. July 1, 2013

@Jobin,

I'd like to keep workflows as simple as possbile in JIRA, with all teams for all solutions using the same workflow. However, I may explore your suggestion.

@Marlon,

Thanks, I voted on it and added scenario in the comments that hopefullty presents my case. Is there a third-party option available to On-Demand that would do what I am asking?

Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2013

Hi Pete,

In short, there is not, notifications are set on a project by project basis and no Built In plugins Avaliable for OnDemand can achieve different notifications schemes by issue type.

Kindly,
Marlon

Suggest an answer