Is v4.1.1#522 Jira version compatible with Windows 2022 OS?

Kiss Péter April 17, 2023

Hello All,

We have a pretty outdated Jira - system that has v4.1.1#522 version and the system is being run on our server internally .

Also note that on the same server we are also running a Confluence system whose version (Atlassian Confluence 3.2) has also turned to be outdated since its deployment   

The current server on which both the jira and Confluence systems are being run currently uses Windows 2012 OS however  this OS will become end of life category soon and consequently  we will need to decommission this server

Can you please confirm whether it is possible to install these systems , Jira and confluence with their versions mentioned above  to a new server with Windows 2022 OS.

Actually  I have some bad presumptions because I do not think that Jira v4.1.1#522 version will  support the Windows 2022 OS but I just need an official confirmation for this . 

So we just wonder if  both the Jira version and the Confluence versions mentioned above can support the Windows 2022 OS...

Looking forward to your kind prompt feedback !

Regards!

Péter Kiss

2 answers

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

Hi @Kiss Péter  and welcome,

for my knowledge, there is no specific restriction with Windows so version. If you take a look to one of the supported platform page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/supported-platforms-938846830.html) you can see that JIRA support OS and not specific version. 

My suggestion is to try first in a test environment with Windows 2022 first.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2023

Fabio is correct.  In theory it should be possible.  But that comes with a big /should/.  The operating system has never been the focus of a supported platform for Jira.  Frankly Jira doesn't care what the base operating system is. Instead the Java environment has been far more important historically. This is because Jira is a Java based application.

To run this very old version of 4.1.1, I suspect you will need to run an older Oracle/Sun Java JRE or JDK.  I believe you'd need a Oracle 6.0 (sometimes called as Java 1.6) in order for Jira to run in that environment.  You could try a much more modern JRE/JDK such as Java 17, Java 11, or a Java 8, but Jira didn't officially support these newer JRE editions until much later, so I would expect there to be unknown and unsupported problems with trying a newer JRE alongside this very old Jira.

That said, we wouldn't recommend running these end of life products anymore, as they are very likely affected by a number of security vulnerabilities that are only patched in modern, updated, and still supported editions of Jira.

Suggest an answer