Is there way to automatically change status of all issues once released?

Christine Ritchie July 23, 2018

Our current workflow has issues after passing testing and committed to code set at APPROVED, a resolved state. Once the build is released is there a way to have the status for all the issues in the release automatically change from APPROVED to CLOSED?

How?

thanks! Christine

3 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

AFAIK there is no event fired when the release is declared. However, you may be able to use automation to accomplish your goal. Are you using Kanban Release button? The only thing that I’m aware of that happens when this is done is to set the Fix Version field. So I’m wondering if Jira automation has a condition to trigger on the fix version being set. If so, you could do something like this...

WHEN Fix Version is set and IF status is Approved Then transition issue to Closed

im not in a place where I can test this at the moment. Something to play around with.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

@Christine Ritchie, took a quick look and I think you can accomplish using the free version of Automation for Jira Lite. I'm on cloud and here is what I came up with.

As you will see you will want to make changes to match your workflow. There are many other things you can do as part of the automation as well, e.g. set other custom fields add a comment to indicate it has been release, etc. As well, should you start running into issues differentiating between what was previously released and what is currently being released you can easily set some custom field that would indicate previously processed and then add to this automation to ensure that field is not set before proceeding. LMK if you have any more questions.

release automation.jpg

Christine Ritchie July 24, 2018

Thanks, Jack... I'll have to look at this some more.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Hello,

As far as I understand you use Jira versions and you want to transition issues if a version in the Fix Versions field is released.

You can user the ScriptRunner plugin to write a listener, which would listen to the VersionReleaseEvent. If this event is triggered, then this listener would catch it and transition all required issues.

Christine Ritchie July 24, 2018

yes, that's correct. We don't have ScriptRunner yet... I'm asking my local Jira folks about getting it. Seems useful for other stuff as well. thanks!

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Not automatically out of the box.

You can manually bulk transition the issues as an additional manual step when releasing versions or if you have the ability to use add-on's like scriptrunner you can setup a listener to transition them on release of the version.

Alternately, I would ask why you need to add an additional status state when the information can already be discerned by the state of the fixVersion.

Christine Ritchie July 23, 2018

Why? I guess decades of doing it a certain way... APPROVED PRs you can search on easily and it's one less piece to add to the search query. APPROVED and in build... versus just APPROVED.

Thanks for the words bulk transition. I'll go look that up.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

Ah yeah then you'll want to do the bulk transition.  I'd go the route of a scriptrunner listener if you have the ability to though.

Suggest an answer