Is there is any way to email the save filter in word format

Paharirajput Rajput December 26, 2012

Hi All,

Is there is any way to email the save filter in word format,i.e suppose i have 30 issues and i saved this filter by "XYZ" name. I wanna that this "XYZ" filter would emailed me automatically by JIRA at everyday b/w 8 am to 9 am(any time) in word format. So that i can see all the details in the slip. Can anyone help me. My email id is "paharirajput@gmail.com" . Any help would greatly appreciated........(smile)

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

You can add a cronjob (scheduled task in Windows) to run this at your prescribed time and store this in your disk. I guess for achieving your usecase, you don't need to get this in email itself.

wget -O filteroutput.doc https://yourjiraserver/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-word/XXXXX/SearchRequest-XXXXX.doc?tempMax=1000

Replace XXXXX with your filterid

If you need to keep each days report seperately, dynamically build a string for filteroutput.doc using date and time.

EDIT: Also add os_username and os_password to your URL if the filter is not public.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2012

My apologies, I got too focussed on the internal solutions. This is a far better answer than trying to code something internally - script externally.

I would still talk to the system owners - there's something very wrong with their system if they're re-indexing so often that you think you need this solution.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

Yes, reindexing so often indicates that there is something else broken in the system.

Paharirajput Rajput January 3, 2013

Thanks Nic and Renjith......:)

If reindexing would done at the background in Jira 5.2 and above, than we don't need filter in word format via email. The main problem was jira reindexing...:)

Thanks once again..........:)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2013

I trust you told the system owners that their need to re-index frequently is a symptom of a very broken Jira and they need to look into that?

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2015

The PDF Automation Plugin does exactly this.

It supports generating customizable PDF documents from JIRA issues, then auto-emailing or auto-saving those. You can trigger an automation periodically (as you requested) or at issue events (ex: a new critical issue was created).

Here is the complete automation tutorial.

It is not Word, but I assume that it is not the actual file format that is the most important in your use case. PDF is the standard for read-only business documents.

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2013

There is a new plugin Intelligent Reporter which allows you to set up report templates in Word format and have them filled in and emailed to you every day. You can do much more than just filters, and can brand format the document completely in Word in case you need to share the document with customers.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.clariostechnology.intelligentreports

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2012

No, you can't do this.

You can export a filter in Word format

You can subscribe to a filter and get a digest of it regularly, but the digest is formatted as a quick to read list of issues, as it's an email, not a document.

If you really need to do this, you could do a bit of coding to change the subscriptions to a Word format, but as you've tagged this as "OnDemand", you won't be able to apply that code, so the asnwer remains a solid "no".

I suggest you re-evaluate why you think you want this as a Word document though - I can't really think of a situation where it's particularly useful.

Hi Nic....:)

Good afternoon.......!!

I need this filter as a word document because i have to do some regression task on my project. Suppose a slip which was reopened by me(as i am a tester) earlier, and developer resoved that slip with some comments. I need to see all the decriptions and comments of the developer. so that i need that filter in word format...:)

Another reason , since some times Jira would go into reindexing mode sudddenly or for scheduled maintainance . At that time my testing(regression) would block suddenly. If I have the filter in word format ... so it would help me a lot. ..I can see whole decription, comments e.tc of the ticket.....Could you please help me.........:)

Any help would greatly appreciated........(smile)

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2012

I'm afraid your first reason isn't really a reason to export it. You can read all of that in the issue, and better, it won't be obsolete as soon as you've grabbed the output.

The second one, yes, I can see that, but indexing a large system should be booked for times when people aren't using the system. Or, on Jira 5.2 and above, done in the background.

In both cases, you can still export a filter to word when you actually need it, there's no need to repeatedly get the results via email just for the odd occaision. Would you really use a faily word formatted filter that often? Would it actually be useful if generated at midnight and the system is re-indexed at 8pm?

Anyway, my orginal answer of "no" still stands - you need to code if you want to do this, and you can't do that for OnDemand.

Hi Nic,

I work in INDIA...so generally indexing was scheduled at midnight in Eastern day time.Sometimes when i reached office in the morning, I noticed that jira was down due to reindexing. At that time, our testing blocked since we cannot see the comment or descriptions of the ticket due to reindexing of jira. Since we have lot of work to do as our client send us daily task through jira. At that time, the bunch of 60 guys would sit idle because they cannot do anything. If we have filter in word format, it would save precious time of ours. I acn export and share the filter in word format but i need jira would send filter in word format automatically daily via email so that if reindexing or jira maintainence will happen......we can continue our work with an ease.....:)...Hope you understand my problem .........:)...Could you please help me further ......:)

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2012

But surely you can book the indexing so that you know when it's going to happen and hence do a download before it starts? In most places where Jira is a critical system like this, re-indexing is under change management because of the impact.

If they're indexing frequently, then they need to think about why they are indexing so often. I've worked with Jira systems that don't do it for months. Two large ones I've helped out with have not indexed between upgrade cycles!

And, you still need your admins to install code changes if you really need your email solution. Frankly though, the development effort would be better spent working out why they keep reindexing and fixing that problem.

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2012

You can subscript into the filter notification as mention https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Receiving+Search+Results+via+Email. :)

Hi Momo,

I couldn't able to open the link mentioned into your comment. An error "Page not found " is appearing on clicking above mentioned link.....:( See also attached screen shot of this error.

Any help would greatly appreciated........(smile)

Thanks

Suggest an answer