Is there documentation on how the Control Chart is calculated?

Carolyn Nelson February 27, 2013

The metrics that show up in the individual points on the graph don't seem to match what is in the chart. For example, if the point representing a completed issue is plotted at 10 days, the actual cycle time for that issue might be 3 days or 400 days. I can't figure out what is going on.

1 answer

0 votes
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2013

Hi Nelsoca,

There is documentation available here for viewing the Control Chart: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Control+Chart. As for your specific example I am unable to reproduce this behaviour, could post an example image?

Cheers,

Paul

Carolyn Nelson April 2, 2013

Hi Paul -- many apologies for the delay! I have a screen shot, but not sure how I post it? I tried to paste here, but it is not working. Please advise.

Carolyn Nelson April 2, 2013

I collected some information in a spreadsheet. I pulled up a single issue to show you what is happening. First let me say that there were a few moving parts, so I will not be surprised if some algorithm got messed up. We not only deleted a state in the workflow, after this issue had passed through, but we also added a new state while the issue was in progress. The issue was also sent back to Construction a second time due to a defect. It's a real life test case, haha!

The left column is a list of all the workflow states. The next column is the date when the issue moved into that state (I manually pulled these from the History tab). I calculated the total days using an Excel formula in the 3rd column.

Now it gets strange. The 4th column are the days that JIRA calculates for each state when I hover over that issue in the Control Chart when refined to show all the states from Ready for Reqs to UAT. The 5th column are the days that JIRA calculates when I refine to only show from Design to UAT. Why would the Days in State calculations be different by changing the Refine filter?

<colgroup><col width="161"> <col width="132"> <col width="79"> <col span="2" width="98"> <col span="2" width="64"> </colgroup>
Issue 1054
Date item ENTERED the state Elapsed (Excel calculation) JIRA calculation (Ready for Reqs - UAT) JIRA calculation (Design - UAT)
Created: 26-Oct-12 25
Ready for Reqs: 20-Nov-12 0 25
In Analysis: 20-Nov-12 0 0
Approved: (removed) 20-Nov-12 69 0
Ready for Development: 28-Jan-13 8 69
Design: 5-Feb-13 20 8 25
Peer Review (added) (issue did not use) 0 20 0
Ready for Construction: 25-Feb-13 1 0 69
In Construction: 26-Feb-13 3 1 8
Building: 1-Mar-13 3 14 20
In Test: 4-Mar-13 7 3 0
In Construction: 11-Mar-13 11