Is there any way of programming JIRA to auto-populate fields based on content of a master field (e.g. Summary)?

Hi! I'm currently using JIRA to log language and other issues in a website. The information I am logging includes a summary of the issue (e.g. "color > colour"), plus a range of other variables such as error type (grammar, terminology, spelling, etc.), ranking (1-4 in order of severity of issue), and status (new, raised previously, approved previously, etc.).

Now, as you can imagine, many of these issues are recurring. They also have their own individual mix of issue type, ranking, status, etc. Every time I log one of these recurring issues, I have to make sure that all the variables are correct. Cloning is not a satisfactory option as I have to log location data as well.

What I'd like to do is have a background database in which all the recurring issue summaries are listed alongside the corresponding data fields (Issue type, rank, status, etc.). When I type in "color > colour" in a new issue summary field, I'd like all the other fields included in the database recorded to be automatically populated. Impossible, I guess?

What's more, I'd like to be able to edit the database, e.g. as the status of a particular issue summary (e.g. "color > colour") changes and for those changes to be pushed to each ticket with the corresponding summary. That way all tickets with the same issue summary have a consistent issue type, ranking, status, etc.

Is any of this possible?!

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

None of this is possible in JIRA onDemand. Even on downloaded version, you are talkin about something that will need heavy customization which is not recommended.

Thank you - maybe one for the future? Not sure how other people use JIRA but this would save me a LOT of time. Oh well, back to the grind... :)

Maybe :) Or maybe you can work on a high profile plugin if you move to downloaded version.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

165 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you