Is there any solution for multiple approvals except Herzum plugin?

IT Accounts April 20, 2016

I was searching for a multiple approval plugin for Jira. Herzum is usefull, but its interface is complicated for some users. Is there anything like herzum, but with different design? Would be very appreciate for your assistance. 

8 answers

3 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

I wasn't trying to be snippy or anything – I just don't push add-ons unless it's really necessary. Off hand I'm not sure of any great ones, that's why I tried to get some more information from you. smile

Usually I've gotten by using fields, transitions, conditions, and user pickers. An Approver user-picker field, a transition protected by a condition that looks at the Approver field, that marks a Approved field with checkbox options, and finally another transition that indicates the issue was properly approved and can proceed to the next status.

image2016-4-21 9:15:59.png

Another option could be JIRA Service Desk, which has approval functionality. I believe it's in Cloud only at the moment though. https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/setting-up-approvals-816880004.html

1 vote
IT Accounts April 22, 2016

I understand that the only way to implement comlicated logic into workflow is to use Script Runner, which executes Post (or Validation) Groovy Scripts.
Here are some scripts I need to know who to write, to implement my solution:

1. Add script post function: which adds user (who executed transition) to UserPicker(multiple) custom field of current issue in post function in this transition.
  2. Add script condition (as issue transition option) which should compare two UserPicker(multiple) custom fileds of this issue, and if they are not equal don't show button "to in progress" or smth.
  3. Add script post function which should compare two UserPicker(multiple) custom fileds and if they are equal: 1) send email to group of users, 2) execute some another transition like user pushed some other button himself.

There are some others, but these are vital. If you help, it would be great!
Thank you. 

Alibek Malikov February 25, 2019

Did you manage to find the answer for your question? If so, then I have an identical problem and I need to do the same as you describe! If there is anyone who can help, please help)

1 vote
IT Accounts April 21, 2016

Thanks a lot. We need to use JIRA Software for project with this approval in workflow. 
I was thinking about that first one example, but I don't have much time to investigate. Is there any guide how to make such "approve" in workflow, with step by step strict example.
I thought to do it myself, adding two user pickers fields, one to know who should approve, and second to record who already approved. And validator for approval transition will be script function which will compare these two fields. But unfortunatelly, you can develop and test this approach (scripts) only in real workflow, that means you should open all transitions, their settings, validations, post functions. And it takes enormous amount of time to debug it all. 
Is there any guide how to do it with real code examples and algorithm how to implement it. I'm sure it must be somewhere, because this problem is very popular.

Thanks a lot again for your effort! 

1 vote

I guess I'm asking too much =) but:

1. It must be multiple approval, several users must approve issue on one status to perform transition to next status.
  2. Get rid of additional elements in interface like approval list in Herzum with green and red hands. If user needs to approve he should use push button in standard menu (where edit, assign, more etc) in top part of issue screen, it is not obvious for user that he need to push some other place to approve issue. 
  3. Some other user (manager) should easily set person(s) who should approve issue on some other stage. 
  4. Information about who approved and when must be saved in some issue custom field. So it could be filtered in "search for issues"

And some others things...

This approach can't be done by native JIRA functionality. At least you'll need a Script Runner plugin.To set one person as approver for one status, and all statuses connect one by one is not welcome according to requirements of business process.  

0 votes

Thank you!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

If you're unfamiliar with the basics, this kb article is available on Atlassian – https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-create-manager-approval-for-multiple-department-in-workflow-744325603.html 

Service Rocket has a nice blog with ideas here but nothing really concrete – http://blog.servicerocket.com/adoption/blog/2014/09/end-email-approvals-with-jira

Honestly I don't have a great resource off-hand. If I find something I'll send it your way. I could continue helping with your workflow, you could pass on details or an example scenario and I could walk you through a bit.

0 votes

Sorry, I didn't meant that you were snippy. My sentence "I guess I'm asking too much" because I really thinking it is not that easy to do. =) 

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2016

I usually just use native JIRA functionality. What's the need behind getting a plugin to do it instead?

Suggest an answer