Is there any configuration in Jira Agile saying one story point is equal to 'n' number of hours.

M Vijay Kumar February 21, 2016

For Estimating and tracking, we are estimating the issues using story points and Tracking using hours. So we would like to know is there any setting in JIRA Agile saying that a story point is equal to a number of hours.

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Poort February 21, 2016

In principle a story point should never be expressed in hours. It's a relative measuring instrument. Therefore it would surprise me if such a setting would exist.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2016

Dennis is not going to be surprised.  Story points are not hours, and there is absolutely no equivalence anywhere in JIRA.  Because it's wrong.

M Vijay Kumar February 22, 2016

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the update. Since JIRA has the multiple options for  Estimates(Story points,Original time estimate etc .,) and Time Tracking drove me to this question. Thanks for the clarification.

Vijay

2 votes
Russell Shirley February 23, 2016

I think the friction you are encountering is that if you are using Story points.   There is an average standard deviation that predicts the number of days something with "X" complexity takes.      This avg is how you should communicate to the business what the estimated date of completion might be..   The goal of Story points is to ensure the Dev team is focused on building great things.. while keeping the business informed with predictable results.    In My Experience when you start trying to cut out extra steps by "crossing the streams"  of 10 SP = 5 days..  The end result is that that business then drives the creative process straight into the ground as everything should be a straight conversion factor.   This results in developers worrying about logging time or if they hit the estimate instead of Quality and Innovation.      In recap   Story points are complexity.   a 5 of complexity does not have the same avg days of engineering as a 13SP item or a 1SP item.   The failure comes when you say a SP is equal to a constant value.      In conclusion every team will have a different burn rate based on complexity vs engineering hours.  Does that make sense?   Of course others may disagree... but this is the best way I have found to break down the conversation. 

M Vijay Kumar February 23, 2016

Hi ,

Thank you so much for the information. 

Thanks,

Vijay

0 votes
Raiza Dias February 22, 2016

Hi All,

There is the 'Story Point Cheat' suggested by Dan Chuparkoff:

30 mins  = 1 story point

1  hour  = 2 story points

2  hours = 2 story points

4  hours = 2 story points

1  day   = 16 story points

2  days  = 32 story points

3  days  = 48 story points

https://youtu.be/NrHpXvDXVrw?t=9m51s

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2016

That completely misrepresents what story points are for.  They are not hours.

Suggest an answer