Is there an easy way to create multiple projects where users in 1 project cannot view other projects

Archana A K June 23, 2017

I am trying to add 10 different projects with different users in each one of them. I do not want the users of one project to view the other projects unless they are a part of it? I tried creating a group, then a different permission scheme for each project and associate each project with their respective users and permission scheme. Its too tedious a task.  Am i doing it right or is there any easy way out? Please help!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

Hi Archana,

you don't need different permission schemes. Just one.

In the permission scheme, you grant permissions to project roles, not to particular users.

If you associate this scheme to project A, users from A's project roles get the permission.

If you associate the same scheme to project B, users from B's project roles get the permission.

But of course, you have to associate users to the roles in the different projects.

Archana A K June 23, 2017

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am following the steps you have mentioned. However, when I try adding users to a role, the only role that is displayed is of the administrators. Other roles like developers and so on and so forth are not visible at all. I am not getting it right somewhere.

Please help!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

Look at the upper right corner of this page.

There you find a link "Add users to a role" - that's what you are looking for.

Archana A K June 27, 2017

Hi Thomas,

I did click on the link that says, "Add users to a role" on the top right corner of the page. But, the dropdown has no other roles apart from Administrators. So when i select a user, he gets added to the administrators role by default. Am not sure how to get the other roles back in the dropdown!

Any help?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2017

Hi Archana,

seems, that your project roles were removed. Here you can add project roles:

http://<your jira-url>/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa

After you have added new roles, you should see them in your project and can assign users to that role.

Perfect!! That worked!!!

Thanks a lot, Thomas.

Do you also have any suggestions for a timesheet plugin where I can get a report of the team's task logs?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2017

Great :-)

Unfortunately, we don't use time tracking in Jira, so I have no recommendation for that functionality.

Very well.

Many thanks to you for all the timely help. Much appreciated

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2017

There is a far better way to do this

1. Create a group for each set of user you want, and put the users in the right groups (Not strictly necessary, but probably easier and more clear than doing it indivually)

2. Create one permission scheme that uses *roles*.  Not groups.  I usually recommend the important ones (you will need to think through the others of course)

• For Administrate project permission, add
    • Project Lead
    • Role: administrators
  • For Project Browse permission, add
    • Project Lead
    • Role: users
    • Role: developers
    • Role administrators

3. Use that scheme for all the projects

4. Go into the project and add the relevant groups to the roles above.  Or, better, set the project lead to the owner of the project and get them to do it - the admins can add people or groups to the roles.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2017

This time you were faster :-)

Suggest an answer