Is there an ability to add test data to the Test Execution whilst performing tests?

Nick Wignall January 22, 2021

We have a series of Test Cases on a Test Plan that we don't want to associate test data too at this level. This is because every time we run a Test Execution we won't be able to use the same test data.

Ideally we would like to add the data used when we execute the tests, but it doesn't seem possible. Are there some settings within the tool that can be changed to allow this?

Many thanks in advance for any help/insight.

3 answers

0 votes
Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Sudarshan 

If I understood correctly, you might be looking for a feature called "Test Parameterization" that we are currently working on; please check our Roadmap.

"Ability to define variables in the Test specification (e.g. the steps) that can be replaced by values inherited from different sources (a calling test, for example). In that scenario, the called test is used as a parameterized template (e.g. "login as the specified user")."

Is this feature what you are looking for?

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

@Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter  something like that 

thank you.

@Nick Wignall  did you have a look at the feature suggested by Paiva.?

0 votes
Nick Wignall January 26, 2021

Hi @Sudarshan and thanks for the welcome.

We are moving to use Confluence, Jira and the XRay plug in, so apologies if I'm not understanding your reply correctly.

During the manual testing of our software, object/part numbers are created that once used cannot be reused. On some occasions due to auto numbering we don't know the part number in advanced to add to the data section of the test cases.

The question was, each time we do a test execution (initial testing and regression) we will be creating new data and it would be good if we could record this data directly into the test execution so all information of that particular test run is in one place. Is this possible?

We could create a separate document in Confluence to link all the test data to test cases as you suggested but the seems counter productive in our case.

Nick Wignall January 26, 2021

Just realised I've typed the reply in the 'suggest an answer' field. Apologies.

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021

haha no problem for the Apology, Glad that you want to follow things correctly.!

I understand your testing scenario.

I can suggest an alternative which we use to follow long back.! 1. create a text file with the data every time you run the test.

2. this txt file can be archived or attached to the specific Xray ticket for reference.

I hope it is helpful.!

0 votes
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2021

Hello @Nick Wignall Welcome

Ideally your application test data should be:

1. generated by your application 

2. or you should have it as a text file separately.

from Xray when you run your tests the specific code (automation) would pick up the data file, perform your test, and process it.

Do you mean to say the Test data file needs tobe uploaded in Xray for each test .?

Suggest an answer