Is there a workaround for inability to create or edit tickets after upgrading to JIRA 6.0?

bmamlin May 21, 2013

We just upgraded from JIRA 5.2 to JIRA 6.0 and now any attempt to create or edit a ticket fails with this exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.atlassian.jira.user.BridgedDirectoryUser cannot be cast to java.lang.String

Any ideas of how to fix or troubleshoot this error? We've created a support request, but thinking someone might have an idea here as well.

UPDATE:

Looking at the first part of the stacktrace:

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.atlassian.jira.user.BridgedDirectoryUser cannot be cast to java.lang.String
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.MultiUserCFType.putInvalidUsersAtFront(MultiUserCFType.java:291)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.MultiUserCFType.getStringValueFromCustomFieldParams(MultiUserCFType.java:201)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.CustomFieldUtils.buildParams(CustomFieldUtils.java:382)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.customfield.CustomFieldTypeModuleDescriptorImpl.getEditHtml(CustomFieldTypeModuleDescriptorImpl.java:157)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getEditHtml(CustomFieldImpl.java:975)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.screen.AbstractFieldScreenLayoutItem.getEditHtml(AbstractFieldScreenLayoutItem.java:78)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.screen.FieldScreenRenderLayoutItemImpl.getEditHtml(FieldScreenRenderLayoutItemImpl.java:62)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.rest.FieldHtmlFactoryImpl.getEditFields(FieldHtmlFactoryImpl.java:151)

It looks like this error has something to do with custom fields and/or invalid users. The only other hit other than this question when Googling BridgedDirectoryUser is JRA-32514, which states that a multi-user custom field (in JRA-32514 it's a "Participant" custom field) is the cause of the problem... but we don't have a multi-user custom field. :-/

Still searching for an answer.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2013

Hi Burke, just in case have you tried disabling all the plugins? Sometimes when you do an upgrade plugins aren't compatible with the new version and may cause this.

bmamlin May 22, 2013

Bingo! We don't really use any plugins besides Greenhopper, but looking back I discovered a Watcher plugin that I thought had come distributed with JIRA, but appears to be a remnant from earlier. Disabling that plugin & re-indexing did the trick. Thanks!

1 vote
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

In our case it was the Watcher field plugin (which allow watchers to be added on the issues create/edit page). There is a new version that resolves my problem, try updating any plugins first, then go to support.

Norbert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2013

Thanks

Meanwhile I disabled all plugins -> everything was ok
then I enabled it one after another!

I also used the watcher field plugin, but I'm pretty sure I updated it before updating to jira 6!

0 votes
Norbert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Hi

I have the same problem, which plugin did you disable?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2013

The watcher field plugin is mentioned several times above, and it's the one that caused it for us when I was testing an upgrade. Start with that one. It's possible it could be caused by others though, so you may want to work through any other plugins you've got in your system.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Besides disabling plugins, have you tried a re-index? Have you tried the integrity checker?

bmamlin May 22, 2013

Thanks. I first tried re-indexing and it failed with the same exception. Then I realized the watcher plugin was a remnant, disabled it, went back & re-ran the index and it succeeded. It looks like things are working now. Thanks!

Suggest an answer