Is there a way to use the sprint name as part of a query?

Chris Meader January 7, 2015

I have parallel sprints running for several different client projects and would like to create a board that displays only sprints for a specific client.  I have been using unique prefixes on the sprint names so they are easy to distinguish, but my attempts at filtering with wildcards (e.g. sprint = "XYZ*") have not been successful.

2 answers

5 votes
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2015

It looks like you should be able to search on the unique prefix to return all results containing that string - there's no need for a wildcard character:

sprint = "XYZ"

information This was tested on JIRA v6.3.10.

Thanks. It sort of works. My query is simple: project in ("A", "B") AND sprint = "ABC" It brings back all of the sprints that start with ABC as you suggested. It also brings back a few others active sprints that don't start with ABC but not all of the non-ABC sprints. It does keep tickets in those non-ABC sprints from showing, but it still seems not to be 100% right.

By the way, it looks like we are running JIRA 6.1.7

Shalvika Sood March 7, 2017

Thanks a lot!! I was trying to do wildcard search on the team name suffix and it was just not showing up! Your solution helped me a lot... btw, this style is non-intuitive

Alan Williams October 23, 2018

Shayne - Can we use the contains operator with sprint names?  sprint ~ "XYZ" ?

Like # people like this
Pundit Jitendra May 19, 2022

Amazing ! this worked fine and very fast too

1 vote
raghu February 4, 2020

It looks like we cannot use wildcard search on "sprint" field.  I have tried <Sprint ~ "T2020*"> , resulted an error that says sprint field doesn't support ~.   Have you got any workaround (without java code) for this?   

raghu February 4, 2020

Never mind.  Sprint = "T2020" itself  worked.  It worked as wildcard search.

thnaks,

Raghu

Matt Becker July 6, 2020

I was looking for some sort of wildcard to use.  It didn't occur to me that the search itself would consider all sprints that include the text.  I thought it was exact match or nothing.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer