Is there a way to trig a notification to the user picker field?

mani@123 August 20, 2019

Hello All,

I know that we can create Event that we trig on state changes in workflows.
Can we do the same kind of thing, but not at state transition, but rather when a user field is filled.
For example, we have a custom user field "Validation owner". We would like that this owner is notified when this field is set and/or updated.

I tried with the below steps:

1.Under Actions click on Edit Notifications
2.Add a new notification at "Issue Updated" event
3.Select "User custom field value" and choose the name of your user picker field from the list.

Apparently, it sends a mail to the validation owner whatever the update which is performed on the issue,
whereas I would like it sends a mail to the validation owner only when the issue is set to him thru the Validation owner field, like we have Assignee receiving notification when the issue is assigned to him.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Manikanta

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2019

For that, you'll need some sort of event listener via scriptrunner.

Listen for the "issue updated" event (or perhaps all issue event), then examine the changelog to see if the "Validation owner" has changed. Then decide what you want to do with that information.

You could use the built-in "send a custom email" listener. The check for the "Validation owner" would be in the condition field.

If you'd rather send a built-in notification, you could instead choose "fire an event when a condition is true".

Again, the code to check the changed field will go in the condition. You can then pick an event of your choice (including a custom event). Then use the Notification Scheme to set the target recipient of the notification to the "current" user in the "user custom field". At the time of the firing, the current user will be the new user.

The code would look like this (for a condition)

changeItems.any { it.field == 'Validation owner' && it.oldstring != it.newstring }

mani@123 August 21, 2019

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response!

I am new to script runner add-on and scripts. Could you please help with the Email template. What template should i put in Email Template?

We would like that this Validation owner is notified when this field is updated.

Thanks in advance,

Manikanta

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2019
mani@123 August 21, 2019

Thanks for the reply again.

I have added Email Template as below:

Dear Validation Owner,

The ${issue.issueType.name} href = "${baseurl}/browse/${issue.getKey()}" has been assigned to you.

Regards,
${issue.reporter?.displayName}

after updating the issue i got notification from Jira as below:

nitification1.PNGHow can i replace Validation Owner name with the custom filed user name like replacing reporter name in  Email notification?

Thanks in advance,

Manikanta

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2019

Refer to this: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_additional_configuration_in_emails

In the condition and configuration box add the following to retrieve the validation owner and store it in the config variable.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def validationOwnerChange = changeItems.find { it.field == 'Validation owner' && it.oldstring != it.newstring }
if(validationOnwerChange){
def validationOwner = ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName(validationOnwerChange.newString)
config.validationOnwer = validationOwner
return true
} else {
return false
}

The config variable is passed to the template context and can be retrieved like this:

Dear ${validationOwner.displayName},
mani@123 August 21, 2019

Thanks again.

It showing below error:

error1.PNG

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2019

Looks like I made a typo  ... make sure validationOwnerChange is spelled the same in all three places.

But you may still get a static type checking error. Those don't always mean that the code won't run. It's just the editor's type checker can't confirm the type of a variable to see if it matches the type the method accepts.

mani@123 August 21, 2019

changed the validationOwnerChange name correctly in all places in script. Now i don't see "Variable undeclared error". But still it shows error "Cannot find Matching method".

Below is the error in logs:

The following log information was produced by this execution. Use statements like:log.info("...") to record logging information.

2019-08-21 20:38:14,854 ERROR [utils.ConditionUtils]: *************************************************************************************
2019-08-21 20:38:14,854 ERROR [utils.ConditionUtils]: Condition failed on issue PORTFOLIO1-9, built-in script:com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [GenericEntity.get] "newString" is not a field of ChangeItem
 at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntity.get(GenericEntity.java:246)
 at org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntity.get(GenericEntity.java:1051)
 at Script247.run(Script247.groovy:6)
2019-08-21 20:38:14,858 ERROR [utils.ConditionUtils]: Script follows:
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
def validationOwnerChange = changeItems.find { it.field == 'Validation Owner' && it.oldstring != it.newstring }
if(validationOwnerChange){
   def validationOwner = ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName(validationOwnerChange.newString)
   config.validationOwner = validationOwner
   return true
} else {
   return false
}

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2019

Looks like changeItem has a newstring attribute and not a newString attribute.

Again... my apologies with the typos. It was correct on line 3 but incorrect on line 5

def validationOwnerChange = changeItems.find { it.field == 'Validation Owner' && it.oldstring != it.newstring }
if(validationOwnerChange){
   def validationOwner = ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName(validationOwnerChange.newstring)
   return true
} else {
   return false
}
mani@123 August 21, 2019

Replaced script with your updated script. still i see the same error on line 5.

FYI:

I have added this script in the Script Listeners(send custom email) not in post function.

mani@123 August 21, 2019

Below is the error in logs:

The following log information was produced by this execution. Use statements like:log.info("...") to record logging information.

2019-08-21 21:13:35,448 ERROR [runner.AbstractScriptListener]: *************************************************************************************
2019-08-21 21:13:35,448 ERROR [runner.AbstractScriptListener]: Script function failed on event: com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent, script: com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'displayName' on null object
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.mail.AbstractSendCustomEmail.constructMail(AbstractSendCustomEmail.groovy:258)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail.super$2$constructMail(SendCustomEmail.groovy)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail.constructMail(SendCustomEmail.groovy:208)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail$constructMail$1.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.mail.AbstractSendCustomEmail.constructMailWithConditionResult(AbstractSendCustomEmail.groovy:246)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail.super$2$constructMailWithConditionResult(SendCustomEmail.groovy)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail.constructMailWithConditionResult(SendCustomEmail.groovy:190)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail$constructMailWithConditionResult$0.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
 at com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail.doScript(SendCustomEmail.groovy:157)
mani@123 August 21, 2019

Hi Peter,

It is working after adding ? in the Email Template. I got notification but Validation Owner name in the notification is null.

null.PNG

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2019

That looks like it's might not be coming from the script, but from somewhere else in your configuration. Maybe the template.

Maybe confi.validationOwner was set to null. So you may need to trap against that.

I'm made some assumption in my recommendation. One of which is that the validation owner field is a user picker field and the changelogItem.newstring value is the username  string for that field.

You may need to output some more logs to debug it.

Something along those lines:

if(validationOwnerChange ){
if(validationOwnerChange?.newstring){
def validationOwner = ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName(validationOwnerChange.newstring.toString())
if(validationOwner){
log.info "validation owner changed detected from $validationOwnerChange.oldstring to $validationOwnerChange.newstring"
log.debug "validationOwnerChange.newstring is of class ${validationOwnerChange.newstring.getClass()}"
return true
} else {
log.error "no jira user found for validation owner: $validationOwnerChange.newstring"
}
} else {
log.info "validation owner changed but new value is empty"
return false
}
} else {
log.debug "no change found for validation owner field"
return false
}

And maybe instead of 

try

config.validOwnerName = validationOwner?.displayName

and in your template use

Dear ${validOwnerName},

mani@123 August 21, 2019

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for helping.

I have tried with the above script and changed the config.validOwnerName both the methods as you described above, still it is not working.

There is no error in the console but i see same error in the logs for both config.validOwnerName methods.

2019-08-22 02:34:59,096 ERROR [mail.AbstractSendCustomEmail]: no jira user found for validation owner: Manikanta
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2019

Ah... I think I see my mistake. The "changeHistoryItem.newstring" is actually the displayName of the user.

We need to get the changeHistoryItem.newvalue instead to get the username

def validationOwner = ComponentAccessor.userManager.getUserByName(validationOwnerChange.newvalue)
Like mani@123 likes this
mani@123 August 22, 2019

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for taking time and helping. It is working now I can see Validation Owner name in the emails.

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Manikanta

Suggest an answer