Is there a way to track scope changes outside of the sprint (within the backlog)?

jposluns January 19, 2020

It seems that there is a lack of transparency and tracking when people are changing the complexity (Story Points) in the backlog. Is there any way to track this? Is this completed by the Release Burndown report (a report I do not fully understand)?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2020

Hi @jposluns 

Try our Great Gadgets app. It includes a Release Burndown Burnup chart gadget that is based on a issue filter (which should return the issues from your backlog). It has a Scope Change line that indicates the scope changes over the time.

It works based on Story Points, Issue Count or Original Time Estimate and supports next-gen projects.

Danut.

0 votes
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Hi @jposluns

A lot of the main reports are based on sprints themselves rather than the backlog.

This is because Sprints are planned at the start of the iteration, and any scope change could have a material impact on the completion of that sprint / sprint goal so it's important to highlight these changes.

This is less of a factor in the backlog - where items are being refined and planned prior to new sprints commencing. As a team you would be discussing and sizing these, ensuring transparency on their size.

If this were me and the issue was a lack of team transparency - I'd be raising this as an issue with the team at stand-up.

If however it's simply to track the size of the backlog overtime, I can't think of a greay way basic Jira can show the sum of points per day at a board filter or project level. I'd consider building this into excel and running the data to the graph using the Official Jira-Excel Plugin!

Ste

Suggest an answer