Is there a way to show results of user multi-select in a dashboard gadget?

Jamie Bell March 20, 2023

Hi. I have a custom field (at Epic level) intended to capture which (1 to many) analysts are assigned to the piece of work. On the dashboard widgets, if I select this field (even using a filter for non-empty values) all I get for the field data is 'none'. The staff I've selected don't seem to be able to show anywhere... is it a bug?

Would like to see, for example, if my data is:

• Epic A: 'Custom_user_field1' values 'John', 'Dave', 'Mary'
  • Epic B:  ...values 'John', 'Mary'
  • Epic C: ...values 'Mary'

Then a Dashboard widget on 'Custom_user_field1' not empty could show: 

• John: 2 issues
  • Dave: 1 issue
  • Mary: 3 issues

Here's a pic of pie results using the real field. 7 epics, yup. 9 user values in the field across the 7 epics, yup. Pie shows... 'none'. 

Jira_broken pie.png 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Jamie Bell -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is this for a team-managed or a company-managed project?

If it is team-managed, there is a known problem with People fields not working with all dashboard gadgets.  You may watch/vote for that defect to see progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72205

Kind regards,
Bill

Jamie Bell March 22, 2023

Thanks Steve. Definitely that, & yes is a Team project.

Always a concern with bugs of this kind in Jira, that they take an eternity to get recognised & resolved (almost 4 years so far for that one!) Just makes Jira that much harder a sell to decision makers over time, as it shouldn't be the case for a mature tool like this.

So I thought it best to first find out if a workaround or user error was possible... Would've been nice! Now I just have to tell key stakeholders there's no way to dashboard/report on this, & the field is therefore mostly useless, apart from as individual issue reference. Shame.

Cheers. :)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

A possible work-around for this is...

A recent change allows team-managed projects (TMP) to share/use the custom fields created for the site and company-managed projects (CMP).

If you create a multi-select user field at the site level, it could then be used by your TMP (instead of the People field type).  That may work correctly with the gadgets, as it does so for CMP.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events