Is there a way to restrict user from deleting Zephyr test cycles?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

We are currently evaluating Zephyr as a tool for our test-management team. From an audit point of view we found one issue. Any user can delete test cycles.

Is there any way to prevent that?

Thanks,

Udo

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2013

Thanks Chris for considering it. However, since we had our requirements from audit department we decided to set up our test management by using JIRA itself. We defined a workflow for test cases as issue type) and test executions (as subtasks). So we could use the JIRA permissions to prevent deletion of anything. It is just working fine and fulfills all the requirements (for us).

0 votes
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2015

I'm a bit late to the party. Anyway we had the same issue and AFAIK it's still not fixed. What we developed was some kind of hack to "hide" (client-side) the corresponding icons for users that are not in a specific project role. This however does not prevent users from playing with the URLs to find out the corresponding function but I guess in 99,9% it would be a sufficient solution.

In order to achieve this we used the JIRA Plugin CUTE for JIRA and developed a custom Extension for that in one day of work. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions on this matter.

(Disclaimer: we are the developer and maintainer of said Plugin)

0 votes
Jitendra February 19, 2015

will a trigger such as follows, prevent test cycle deletion?

create  or replace  trigger no_delete  before delete  on AO_7DEABF_CYCLE   for each row
begin
  RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR( -20001, 'Delete blocked' );
end;
0 votes
Jitendra February 19, 2015

exactly same

0 votes
Philipp Klauser October 22, 2013

I've found it: In the plugin configuration under "General Information" there is a button "View Change History".... But: The table with all changes will never fill. It's always empty... I can choose whatever events I like...

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

Hi Udo, Philip,

There will be an audit trail in Zephyr for JIRA 2.0. I can't comment on its exact performance at this time, but recommend you examine the exact functionality and see if it fits your needs. Currently there isn't a "delete prevention" in 1.73 or in 2.0, but I'll share this feedback with our development team so they can considerr adding it in a future build.

I'll add that Zephyr for JIRA 2.0 should be out this week or next.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Philipp Klauser October 20, 2013

Thanks Chris for your answers - very much appreciated!

We look forward for release 2.0

Making SW-Testing inside JIRA for years we know the limits and pains using jira functionality (plus some plugins). The "zephyr way" is for sure much more advanced and brings some clear advantages.

Cheers, Philipp

ErikB October 22, 2013

Hi Chris- I've looked for test step history after we upgraded to 2.0 and haven't been able to locate it. How and where can it be located?

Sebastian Matheke June 4, 2014

Hi Chris,

there are still no permissions for "delete Test Cycle" or "Delete Test Execution" available. Can you tell us if there are any implementation plans for this security feature in upcoming releases?

0 votes
Philipp Klauser October 14, 2013

Exactly the same here: Without audit trail and prevention of test cycle deletion zephyr is just a no go...

Suggest an answer