Is there a way to programatically restore from XML backup?

I'm running self-hosted JIRA(7.4.4) in a docker container. It will start up empty, however, I wish to migrate data from another JIRA instance which is backed up by XML.

However - to import this XML data, I have to:

- Docker CP to /var/atlassian/jira/import

- Go through initial setup on the JIRA instance, create a user, password, restoration method etc.. 

- Manually restore in Settings/System/Restore

Isn't there a way to programatically post the XML's to a REST endpoint which consumes the backup to restore from? 

Right now, my solution includes accessing the page with headless chrome(through a python script), navigate through the setup, and manually input the filename(in .zip) on the settings page. But as you imagine, this is less than ideal :) 

1 answer

What is your goal here?

Test new versions of JIRA?
Clone the server to a standy server?

Adaptavist has a free tool to to set up an empty application:

https://github.com/Adaptavist/avst-wizard

We have service scripts to test different versions of JIRA, Confluence etc:

e.g. service jira upgrade 7.4.4 7.5.0

service jira start 7.4.0

service jira upgrade 7.4.3 latest

The goal is to spin up a jira instance with docker with a specific version of JIRA, and import data from clients. For example, to set up a test environment that replicates the exact setup :) 

Hope it makes sense  

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

168 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you