Is there a way to modify the create time of an issue

I want to change the create time of an issue through programming. I have found that the update and create operation of an issue both need the help of "IssueInputParametersImpl" class, but this class could not set the create/update time.

So is there a way to modify the create time of an issue through programming?

Thanks

3 answers

You should edit the DB.

I guess you can't.

I had seen a answer from Vishnu saying to edit the DB, but that answered has disappeared here. I guess that is the only option, but it can break JIRA if not done correctly. Search for the same in this site and you will get atleast 10 answers from @Nic warning about the same.

What is the usecase, can you explain it please?

Thank you for your concern.

There is a plugin that can copy an issue from a JIRA instance to another one. But the create time could not be copied. So I want to modified it.

I have used this way to achieve this function:

MutableIssue issue = getCreatedIssue();

issue.setCreated(getOriginalCreateTimeStamp());

issue.store();// this is essential or the timestamp could not be stored.

I too suggest to edit DB. My answer got deleted by mistake.

If editing the database, you must - stop jira, get a backup, prove it works by restoring it and testing it on a dev/test system, run your SQL, start Jira, reindex and then I recommend the integrity checker too, just in case. Having said that, hacking a handful of create-dates is not going to be a huge risk, as it's a simple attribute.

Your code doesn't include reindexing though - I suspect that might be why your data is being seen as wrong.

Yes, just as you said, the copied Create Time has some small deviation: the date is right but the hour is not using this way:

"issue.setCreated(getOriginalCreateTimeStamp());

issue.store();"

Thanks for your detailed description about how to operate the database, I will have a try.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,435 views 15 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you