Is there a way to hide the standard description field in issue detail view on boards

ashleyg February 7, 2019

We don't use the standard description field in any of the screens and also have it hidden across all issue types under field configuration scheme for our project. It still shows up on boards though under issue detail view. It doesn't show up on issue view screen otherwise which is expected, but showing up as a non-editable field on issue detail view on boards is something not justifiable. The Atlassian link below says about description field :-

• Can be hidden, depending on the field configuration being used.
  • Can't be deleted from the default layout configuration of the issue detail view.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-the-issue-detail-view-764478043.html

Please let me know if that is expected or is there a way to hide it also on boards. Please note that since its not in the screens, so its also not on the board---> Configure---> Issue Detail view setting where you can remove it.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2019

Hello Ashley,

Can you please let us know if you are using the old or the new issue detail view on your boards? Here are their difference:

New issue view:

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 15.01.08.png

Old Issue view:

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 15.01.35.png

Can you please confirm the results you get on both views?

Additionally, have you tried to add the field back to the field configuration in your project, remove it in the issue detail view of the board and then remove it again from your project screens?

We will be waiting for your answer in order to reproduce it look for any options.

ashleyg February 8, 2019

Thanks for checking this. We are using the Jira data center version 7.13.0 and i tried as you recommended but the issue detail view is unchanged. Also it looks like the view i see pertains to the old view that you referred to.

Could you please let me know if there is anything else i need to do like may be reindexing Jira or something or is this expected with my version of Jira

Christoph Roll _Communardo_ August 3, 2022

Hello @Petter Gonçalves
any further ideas on that topic? A project using Issues as a pure representative is asking me the same question.

Regards

Suggest an answer