Is there a way to hide a set of issue types based on the user or Project Role or Group?

Lorenzo Cavina November 24, 2011

Hi all,

is there a way to hide a set of the projec-configured issue types based on the user, a group of users or a project role?

There reason why I'm asking this one is that I don't want my customers to use all the issue types we are using on the project, but only the help desk related issue types, that is a subset of the available issue types. e.g. a customer may see and open only Bug issue types, but not New Feature, Improvement or Task.

Thank you very much.

3 answers

0 votes
John Diaz July 31, 2013

Is there any other solution right now???
Thks.

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2011
Hi Lorenzo, if you are familiar with the Behaviours plugin you could write a validator that dynamically hides all fields on the create screen if the user is member of the normal end users group and an issue of a type different from bug is created. In the groovy validation script you can get the information about issue type and you can also check if the current user is member of the end users group. You could also unhide a message field telling the user that he cannot create such an issuecand tell him what should be done to do so. Regards, Dieter
0 votes
Randall Cameron November 25, 2011

Hi Lorenzo,

To my knowledge, there is no way to do this within a single project. A user can either create issues or they cannot--there is no filter by issuetype.

I have two suggestions to work around this:

1) Open a different customer facing project that only includes a single issuetype. It can replicate all the required fields from your existing project and you can create a dashboard / query to watch for incoming bugs & move them to your dev project as they are triaged. Remove your customers' "Create issue" permission in your dev project.

2) Create a customer group that includes all your customer JIRA accounts. Using this you can make a simple query to watch for non-bug customer issues from which you can convert them to bugs.

Both of these require some monitoring. If you come up with another option, I would love to know!

Cheers,

--Randall

Suggest an answer