Is there a way to have Epic order match between the Roadmap view and Board View?

Elizabeth Mayer November 5, 2018

I love the new roadmap capability..... and the ability to re-order the Epics by dragging and dropping.    That said, when I go into the board view, the Epics are not in the same priority / timing order and it doesn't seem that I can adjust their order.   Is there something I'm missing that would allow me to do this?  Or is there a work around?

3 answers

2 votes
Derek Daigrepont December 19, 2018

Stepehen,

I think you might have missunderstood what Elizabeth was asking.  I have the same question.  Let me see if I can provide a little more detail.

• The Roadmap view allows you to move epics up and down (vertically), thus changing the 'Rank' attribute.
  • The Board view allows you to move issues across columns (horizontally), then changing the status.
  • You cannot, however, move epics vertically in the Board view.

The last item is the issue.  It would be tolerable to not be able to move epics in the Board view, if I could figure out how they are ranked and how to change the rank in that view.  I have tried all sorts of stuff, but I can't seem to find any way to affect the order of epics in the Board view.  How is that order determined?

Thanks,

Derek

1 vote
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2018

Hello Elizabeth and welcome to the community!

Your question in regards to ordering on a Next-Gen roadmap vs ordering on a board for Jira cloud is a great question. I have tested to ensure what I am giving you is that latest information as of today (please keep in mind cloud feature do get pushed out quickly and this may become outdated in a few months). The Roadmap sorting is independent of the sorting of your board.

Meaning, while you can drag and drop items within the roadmap, that will only be represented within the roadmap itself and not be translated back onto the board. The roadmap is more designed to show what is schedule to be worked on and when. Think of the roadmap as the planning phase and the board as your work in progress display.

The board will display the items you have within your statuses to show your current work in progress. Moving these items around within your board will not impact your roadmap either, unless you move an item to completed.

If you feel that this should become a part of the product itself, we would suggest you submit a feature request to have it evaluate and then added into Jira cloud. Simply go the following link and submit your idea; Submit Feature Request (Select suggestion from the drop down).

For more information on roadmaps within next-gen projects, you can see the documentation around Roadmap.

Please let us know if this answers your question and if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Claus Overbeck June 4, 2019

@Stephen Sifers, could you have a look at @Derek Daigrepont 's comment below? We are facing the same problem and would be interested in a solution.

Thanks

Claus

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hello Claus,

To understand the issue a bit more, you’re wanting to order your issues within a Kanban board based on a weighted field. With this said, you should be able to use the ranking to order your issues. From here you may specify which field you want to order from. Further information on ranking may be found at Enabling ranking.

If this is not what you’re looking for then please provide further information, any screenshots would be very helpful.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Claus Overbeck June 5, 2019

Sorry @Stephen Sifers I think there are some misunderstandings:

• We are talking about an (agile) next-gen project
  • We are talking about Epics.

The scenario is:

1. You create lot's of epics (say epic 1-8) with tasks in them
  2. Later you notice you need some epic 1.5 to be squeezed in between epic 1 and 2 as some intermediate release or whatever.
  3. Now your new epic will be added to the very bottom end of the board. You can move it up to the spot between epic 1 and epic 2 in the roadmap view. However on the board it will stay way down after the epic 8, which is maybe to be released next year.

This makes the board really hard to read and makes moving issues also overly complicated.

However I found these two issues, which seem to address the issue, but do not offer a solution yet:

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Melissa.Stockbridge March 30, 2021

Claus - this is exactly the issue we have.  It's crazy for me to have to create a custom field called "Sort" and then have to manually put a number in it so I can sort my issues as necessary.  When changes arise and we track changes "below the line" so to speak but in the context of a larger Epic we may decide to create new issues within the same phase or Epic and need them to fall in a specific order.  The sorting function is tied to very limited fields that really do not help with planning on the view.  

There should be an id field that will auto-update as I drag and drop or can globally renumber a bunch of issues at a time.  If you have hundreds or perhaps thousands of issues in a single plan or initiative you need to be able to do this.

Like # people like this
0 votes
simon.hill September 24, 2021

I have found that if you want to export to Excel in this order you can use "ORDER BY Rank ASC"

Suggest an answer