Is there a way to give the issue type field default focus when creating a new issue?

Peter Michiels January 22, 2015

I have a workflow with a couple issue types (defect, problem, task and sub-task)

When a user hits  the 'c' key to quickly create an issue I would like to have the issue type field to have focus in the create issue screen, so the user can use the arrows to choose the appropriate type and then easily tab to any other fields he needs to enter.

Currently it's the summary field that always gets focus.

ThX!

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2015

When you say "focus," are you referring to where the cursor begins once you click "Create" or press the "c" key shortcut? I think that's what you mean, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to do this by default using any kind of configuration. Whatever field is listed first in the Screen's configuration screen will be where the cursor appears first on the Create Issue screen. To make sure I was right about that, I tried adding the "Issue Type" field to the Create Issue screen and listed it first, but since it's already a required field for ALL issues, it's going to be on every Create Issue screen you create no matter what (just like the "Project" field).

In general on the Create Issue Screen, the "Project" and "Issue Type" fields are pre-filled based on the last issue you created or the last project you visited. For example, if you last viewed "Project A," the Project field will already be filled with the value "Project A." If you just created an a "problem" issue, the Issue Type field would be filled with "Problem."

There might be a way to do this programmatically or with some plugin, but if there is, I'm not sure what it might be. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

Michael Evans September 13, 2018

I want this, too. I'd prefer keyboard focus is on Project. It's easier to tab forward a few fields than shift+tab backwards to get there. I often times don't want the project and/or issue type that was created previously. Maybe it would be a nice user preference. The current behavior is probably helpful for a lot of users, but I'm in and out of several projects on a regular basis. I frequently get the wrong project and/or issue type because the cursor isn't up where it makes me think about what value I want to enter for those fields.

Suggest an answer