Is there a way to get the release notes emailed to someone when a version is released?

Is it possible to have JIRA send an email to users or an email group when I click on the Release button of a version? This is an action that we currently do manually multiple times per week. It would be great if JIRA could email the group the release notes or just an email.

Thanks!

2 answers

One way to solve this could be "intercepting" the version released events using the JIRA Automation Plugin, then generate and email the release notes using the PDF Automation Plugin.

The real question is whether the version released events are visible for the JIRA Automation Plugin. There is an event type called "generic event", this may help, I'm not sure.

If not, you can still try to work around it, by creating an explicit task issue called for example "Make the release 1.2.3". When it is resolved or closed, that can be captured by the JIRA Automation plugin (I'm sure about it, we use similar mechanisms all the time, see my screenshot) and then you can generate and send the PDF release notes.

Read this tutorial

1-rule1.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,801 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot