Is there a way to get the Epic in JIRA to contain the total estimate of all of the items in it?

James Barham February 12, 2019

We have linked the JIRA Epics to a Roadmap/planning tool called Aha, the integration is working well for planning the Epics, however, the estimates are not pulling through to Aha as the Epic doesnt have an estimate itself. I was hoping this could just automatically be the total of the User Stories, tasks etc within the epic. Has anyone solved this?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2019

Hello James,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

unfortunately, JIRA does not have a feature to automatically sums stories estimations and populate the related Epics with the results, although we have already requested it:

Sum story points or hour estimates for any epic links

I recommend you to watch and vote on this suggestion to increase its priority and receive notifications about any updates.

That been said, I can think of two possible options to achieve it:

1 - We have a plugin on the marketplace that provides this functionality:

Epic Sum Up Add-on

I'm not sure on how/if you would be able to integrate it with Aha, so please take a look and check if it fits your need.

2 - Export the issues with the Epics to a CSV file, Perform the calculations on a Spreadsheet and import back to JIRA. There would be exact steps:

- Create a filter returning all the issues and the related epics

- Export it to a CSV file

- Using a Spreadsheet software (Excel, LibreOffice, etc), sort the CSV file to display the related issues under the Epics by using the Custom Field Epic Link column

- Create formulas to sum-up your Stories estimations to the Epic estimations

- Import back the CSV file

P.S: Although you could create a Spreadsheet template to receive the CSV info, I understand that this second option would need some efforts to be performed and would not update your Epics in a real time when a new estimation is configured to a Story.

Please, let me know if this information helps, James.

Helen Ioffe April 22, 2021

so either pay for the plug-in or use excel... great suggestion

Suggest an answer