Is there a way to get an user's Team through the Rest api?

Henry Bueno
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 21, 2019

I want to get the teams a user is in through the rest api. I mean the Teams you can see under a user's profile like:  (https://server.atlassian.net/jira/people/team/teamId)

I'm not talking about the user's groups.

Is this possible?

11 answers

9 votes
Anish Deena
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2020

Hi Henry, while we don't have a way to do that now, it's part of our plans. Curious to understand the use case here to see if we can help in any other way?

Evangelos Mantadakis May 28, 2020

hi @Anish Deena is there any update with this ? 

App users are asking if they can get use these teams within the apps.

Like Jennifer McVicker likes this
Anish Deena
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2020

Hello @Evangelos Mantadakis, I'm afraid I don't have a new update to this. We currently don't have public team APIs. Thanks

Like Evangelos Mantadakis likes this
Samuel Roshan September 11, 2020

@Anish Deena, we have a requirement to pull "Shared Team" data via API and create custom reports on Power BI. Could you please guide me on how i can achieve that?

Link to "Shared Team" feature
https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver/managing-shared-teams-802170492.html

Like # people like this
Jennifer McVicker October 1, 2020

@Anish Deena is there a ticket for this that I can up-vote? I also need this ability.

Like # people like this
Steve Moss November 2, 2020

Same here, could really do with a timeline on this, @Anish Deena :)

Like Matthew Reynolds likes this
Chris Melville November 3, 2020

I'd like to be able to access shared team membership, ideally to look up an assignee's team membership and then set the Team field via Automation for JIRA.

Like Pieter Schoenmakers likes this
Rolando Dorbecker May 20, 2021

i am being trying by using the teams-api through: team and resource operations, but when using resource it does not give me entire membership that we see on the Jira UI.  

Update: 06-16/2021 i solved this.

Like # people like this
vikash srivastava
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2021

we have a similar use case, where I need to show some metrices team wise in PowerBI, we have a team field in jira ticket but what i see is an ID which i need to map to team name, is there a REST API available for the same?

vikash srivastava
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2021

@Rolando Dorbecker  can you please guide me , how did you achieved this.?

Edwin Rozie July 3, 2021

@Jennifer McVickerI think this ticket implicitly requests an API for shared teams : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20360 

Like vikash srivastava likes this
5 votes
Blake E April 13, 2020

I'd love this to be able to sync our JIRA teams with mailing lists, calendar invites, as well as additional tooling to help easily manage guilds/tribes

Any link to issue on API roadmap?

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2022
3 votes
Maggie So
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2022

Hi All and @Henry Bueno! A public Teams API is now available on the Atlassian platform GraphQL Gateway, allowing you to fetch a team, its details and its members!
Read more about it on this community post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Team-managed-projects/Working-with-Teams-in-the-Atlassian-platform-GraphQL-Gateway/td-p/1948630

Steve Moss February 18, 2022

Awesome! Thank you :)

Ignacio Pulgar December 13, 2023

Hi @Maggie So ,

I'm not familiar with GraphQL.

Is it possible to get the list of team members user ids by calling a REST API?

Otherwise, is it possible to query GraphQL API from an Automation Rule to do so? (ie: through the Send Web Request action)

Thanks

1 vote
Paweł Gesek
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2021

Any update on this? We received a decent amount of requests from our app users to introduce the ability to filter their data by Jira teams they create (we also got some negative reviews for not supporting this). However, I am not sure how we can achieve this without an API similar to /group/members in Jira. 

Is there any way a Jira app could get a list of teams as well as a list of members for each Team?

Regeards,

Paweł

1 vote
Matthew Reynolds
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2020

We would like to synchronize our company PagerDuty groups with Jira teams. I have seen a "Groups" endpoint under the platform API but this is different from the Teams in Jira Software. It would be really great if there was a simple teams API endpoint we could build this integration with.

0 votes
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2023

Hey all, we are happy to let you know that we now had a public REST API you could use. Read more here https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/teams/components/team-public-rest-api/ 

0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

@Henry Bueno  and others. Since you've expressed interest in Teams functionality:

We have an upcoming release of a brand new Teams field in Jira and we'd like to invite you to join a limited Early Access Program!

With this field enabled, users will be able to
- Create and manage teams
- Associate Jira issues with Teams
- Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by Team
- View the issues associated with a team on the team profile (across Jira, Confluence and more) We are launching this as part of a larger mission to enable our products to be more effective for teamwork. This field uses the Atlassian Teams concept (the one that is accessible through the People menu on the top nav on Jira and Confluence cloud editions). We are also working on unifying the different team concepts you see in our products today into one single Atlassian Teams concept that can be used across the Atlassian product suite. If this sounds interesting to you, we would love it if you would join us in trying out these early features to help us shape the future of Atlassian Teams. Please fill out this form if interested - https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9 We are looking for teams that currently use the free & standard edition of Jira software.

Full context at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Early-access-program-for-a-brand-new-Team-field-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/1833946

Form to fill to try out the feature : https://forms.gle/ibPb7Qbxi8ntNHDa9

0 votes
Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2021

Response deleted (see my other response)

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

@Anish Deena Here are some straightforward use-cases requiring access to Team data.

Let's start with an Advanced Roadmap in Jira Cloud using teams.

Here are several Automation Rules that would need to leverage the Team field:

• Confirm that the Assignee for each issue in the plan is in the Team.
  • Assign someone in the Team to unassigned issues in the plan.
  • Notify everyone in the Team for certain issue changes (e.g. release change).

Since the Assignee field is completely independent of the Team members, this is an ideal opportunity to utilize Automation for a variety of organization-specific needs.

Observe that there are two types of Team data needed here:

• Access to the "Team" field in an issue
  • Access to the members of a given Team

As of 1Q2021, access to the Team field seems almost exclusively restricted to Roadmaps. The only exception I found was that using an Advanced Issue search in Jira will show (only) Shared teams (even with full admin privs):

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.21.31 AM.png

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

We have a current use-case where our Roadmap leverages a set of Teams, each containing a single user. Our roadmap is 6-months with significant dependencies, multiple releases, estimations, etc. We want to leverage Auto-schedule as we periodically iterate on the plan during execution.

My goal today to support this effort was to "simply" use Automation to set the Assignee field in each of the hundreds of issues to match the Team. But I can't.

I also hoped to set up a "bi-directional sync" rule, to help keep the Team and Assignee fields matched. That's not going to work either.

Automation doesn't seem to know about the team field at all:

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.38.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.39.33 AM.png

I'll be able to manage the initial Assignee step manually, iterating with Bulk Edit. But without any "sync" option, I'll have to periodically review all the issues manually for mismatches.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

For those following this topic, and wanting to vote for this capability:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-159

I also found this closed ticket that found some (inconsistent) access to the Team field via "Fields Changed" in Automation. But there is no joy here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-26

Also: I realize the OP was focused on the Jira API. But I believe there are systemic issues with access to this data at all, outside of Roadmaps. Were that to be addressed, I expect both API access and Automation access would be offered.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 15, 2020

Teams in their current format are not as useful as they could be.

We'd love to allow people to ask 'Teams' for approval on pages from Confluence (using the Approvals for Confluence App), instead of duplicating the functionality ourselves.

Similarly, it would be useful to compare 'Teams' against one another with 'Pulse for Jira', but unfortunately, there is no API available at the moment for this - and it doesn't seem to be coming soon.

This, along with the lack of any inject-able panels in the new User UI makes the changes around 'People' feel half-baked and it locks out developers from this new interface.

0 votes
David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2020

Are you using a third party add-in for that functionality? I haven't heard of that Teams thing being part of native Jira Server or Cloud. It might be part of Atlassian Cloud.

Ishan Somasiri
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2020

Hi David, 

Teams is available natively on Jira and Confluence cloud editions.

Suggest an answer