Is there a way to fetch jira issues faster using jira api?

Neil January 29, 2020

Hi Team, 

I am quite naive with JIRA API, so apologize if this question is asked before or not high pointer. 

I have a use case were I am fetching JIRA issues for multiple projects and each project is having almost 50 - 60K issues (which grows day by day). It took me almost an hour to fetch 55K JIRA issues. Is there a way or how can I make this process fast enough?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Neil,

It all depends on how you are fetching the information.  Are you making multiple calls to the API to get the information you need for each issue?  If the answer is yes then you should look at how you can optimize your API calls.  You should also look at how your instance is tuned. If you have a large instance that has a lot of activity your API calls will get queued with other normal Jira API activity that occurs in the instance on a normal basis.  This could be slowing it down as well.  You might try running it during off peak times to see if you get any improvements.  IT might be that is the best that you will get with your instance setup because of network latency and other factors.  We have several integrations where we process thousands of issues at a time and we try to schedule them during non-peak hours and make sure we have optimized our API calls.  Usually these are running within minutes and not hours but it all depends on what information you are getting out on each issue.

Neil January 30, 2020

Thanks Brant for detailed explanation. Yes, I am making multiple calls to API as I wanted to fetch all issues w.r.t one project. So, it is fetching like 2000 jira issues in one call. Also, I am fetching almost all fields for each issue.

With network latency part, I agree that I was running in peak hours probably. I should try it in non peak hours. 

Suggest an answer