Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to export a list of all the components in a classic project?

I'm looking to export a list of components from a classic Jira project into a spreadsheet showing the lead component lead

4 answers

This question is a little old, but I found it when I needed the answer to the same question.  One of my users needed a list of components in a project that had over 600, so copying, pasting and reformatting was going to be a time-consuming task.  I went looking for another way, and what I found is actually relatively simple, but does require a few steps (and Excel).

These instructions for for Jira Cloud, but should work for on-prem as well, you will just need to modify the URL.

1. Log into your Jira instance so that you are authenticated
  2. Enter the following URL https://<yourcompanyname>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project/<project key>/components
    The result will be a json of the component information in your project
  3. Right-click on your screen and select "Save As" to save the file somewhere to your PC
  4. Open up Excel
  5. Choose Data -> New Query -> Combine Queries -> Launch Power Query Editor
  6. In the Power Query Editor window, choose New Source -> File -> XML 
  7. Choose the file you just saved.  You might have to change the filter from XML (*.xml) to All Files (*.*)
  8. You should see a single column table where each datapoint says "Record".  Right-click on the header and select "To Table".  Hit "Ok" on the To Table parameter screen.
  9. You will now see a similar table, but in the header next to "Column1" is a little button to expand the table.  Click it and then select the fields that you are interested in.  These would likely be "name" and "lead"
    Screenshot 2022-06-01 144412.jpg
  10. You are almost there.  Now expand the "lead" column and select "Display Name"
  11. Hit the "Close & Load" button and the full table will be loaded up into a new sheet in your excel file.

Hey Brandon!  Thanks for taking the time to document these steps!  This has helped one our teams to dump out a list of their 100+ components.

Like Brandon Fish likes this

This answer was extremely helpful.

I had the same need. 

My quick and dirty method:

• Select all rows from the component page and copy
  • Paste onto a google sheet or Excel
  • Keep the columns needed

Good to go.

1 vote

Hello Nancy,

Currently, it's not possible to export components to CSV. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68842
Please, click on vote and watch in order to hear about updates on the development cycle.

Regards,
Angélica

Dear Atlassian Team,

This functionality would be great to have!

I vote we get this implemented ASAP.  (Another suggestion from me is to allow public users to vote here, so i'm commenting to do so)  How do you further "gather interest" in that workflow of the ticket above?  Thanks and have a good one.

Like David.Kelly likes this

I agree and think this functionality will really help.  I am working on a project where we are integrating Aha! and Jira.  On Aha! side, I need to provide a list of components from my Project to the Aha! admin to complete the integration.  I have no way to export and we have 100s of component in the Project.  Any other ideas or workaround?

Hi! This is only for Cloud? I need to export the components in a project. I have Jira Core Server. Thanks!

0 votes

Quick&dirty, if you cut&paste the entire table from the browser to Excel, the result is pretty good...

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you