Is there a way to expand the size of the simple search field panel?

Amanda Bentley February 19, 2012

I am looking for a way to make the simple search field list larger. We have many component names that are quite long and very similar. Since the width of the simple search field is limited we can't see any difference in the names and can't tell which is the right one to select. The users do not want the names to be any shorter so I am looking for a way to either expand the size of the box so we can see the full contents of the field or a way to put that on a full page.

2 answers

0 votes
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

I thought so after I posted and played with this a little bit more on Saturday but got no further, which is why I didn't follow-up (sorry). There's a line in the issue_nav.css that looks like it should do the trick, but it has no affect when I test it out:

.iss-nav #primary {margin-left:-282px;position:relative;width:270px;z-index:5;}

It looks like you should be able to increase 270 to a higher value, but like I said, I get no response. It could be that it is over-ridden somewhere else or as part of the expand/collapse feature. There are a few more places in the same file where the values are repeated and slightly adjusted for alternative browsers, but changing them all also has no effect.

In other words, it takes someone a little more techie than me to point it out.

0 votes
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2012

Hi Amanda,

I am assuming you are talking about the Quick Search bar at the top of the application. If you or one of your developers has access to the CSS, you can widen the field by accessing this file: atlassian-jira/ui/header.less

Search for the following line in the /* Header Top */ section and edit it (for me it was line 33):

#quicksearch input {border:0 solid #fff;border-left:none;color:#333;font-size:1em;height:1.3em;padding-left:0.3em;width:15em;}

You want to change the width value 15em to a higher number that suits the width you seek.

I tested this out using JIRA 4.4.4.

Amanda Bentley February 26, 2012

I'm actually not talking about the Quick Search bar at the top. I'm talking about the collapsible panel on the left side of the page when you select Issues > Search For Issues and have selected to perform a new simple search.

Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2012

I thought so after I posted and played with this a little bit more on Saturday but got no further, which is why I didn't follow-up (sorry). There's a line in the issue_nav.css that looks like it should do the trick, but it has no affect when I test it out:

.iss-nav #primary {margin-left:-282px;position:relative;width:270px;z-index:5;}

It looks like you should be able to increase 270 to a higher value, but like I said, I get no response. It could be that it is over-ridden somewhere else or as part of the expand/collapse feature. There are a few more places in the same file where the values are repeated and slightly adjusted for alternative browsers, but changing them all also has no effect.

In other words, it takes someone a little more techie than me to point it out.

Suggest an answer