Is there a way to enforce a transition validator?

Joshua McFarland March 15, 2016

I have a status called In Progress and transition to the status called Step 1. My intention was to force a assignee field validator. When I look at an issue it shows both the status and transition, which would easily allow someone to completely skip the validator. Is there a way to transition to a status and always enforce the validator?

Example Issue:

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 11.47.50 AM.png

Workflow:

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 11.49.44 AM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2016

I think the reason you can get to "In Progress" from "Unassigned", bypassing "Step 1", is because you have "All->In Progress".

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

I think you've misunderstood what you have set up here.

JIRA is not showing you a transition and a step, it is showing you two transitions.  One is called "in progress" and the other you have named "step 1".  The "in progress" one is a "global" transition that lets you transition into that status from anywhere in the workflow, and it's labelled simply with "all" in the diagram.

I don't know if you intended to have two transitions (it can be useful), but if you want to force a mandatory field, you will need to add it to both transitions.

The other option is to delete an unnecessary transition.  Do you need "step 1"?  As you already have "all"?

Joshua McFarland March 15, 2016

Thanks for the help. I suppose I was not clearly understanding what was actually going on. In any case, removing the "all" label as @Jeremy Gaudet mentioned solved the problem. I originally has it labelled as "all" because I wanted things from my "finished" status to be able to go back to "in progress". I now realize can just add that workflow in manually though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

It's not a label, it's a global transition from all status into that status.  Removing the second transition is probably the right thing to do.  And if you need the finished -> in-progress, you could add an explicit single one that only does that, rather than "all"

Suggest an answer