Is there a way to enable debug log for UPM?

Hartej Arora November 21, 2019

I am trying to upload a plugin in jira and keep getting "An unexpected error has occurred. Refer to the logs for more details"

but there is no errors thrown in the logs.

I even executed the checks in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/cannot-update-plugin-an-unexpected-error-occured-refer-to-logs-for-more-information-829033396.html but still no use.

Any idea if I can enable a debug log for the plugin manager to help get more details on what is causing this error.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2019

Hi Hartej,

Sorry to hear there are problems here with trying to load a plugin in Jira Server. Before we dig into setting to adjust logging, I would want to confirm that we are first looking at the expected log locations.  For Jira Server I would expect this to be in

Much of the logging information between these two files is the same, but there are sometimes some details in the catalina log file that do not exist in the atlassian-jira.log file. 

If you're checking there and still don't see a clear error message in either of those logs when trying to load this plugin, I have some additional questions for you about this problem:

1. What steps are you taking to try to load this plugin? (using the UPM in Jira and the 'upload addon' button vs trying to place the file directly in the $JIRAHOME/plugins/installed-plugins/ folder before startup)
  2. Is this plugin for Jira a .jar file or an .obr file?
  3. Is this a custom created plugin for Jira?  Or is this something found in Marketplace?
  4. What version of Jira are you using here?

While I don't believe that the UPM itself has its own logging level per se, it might be possible to adjust some of the existing profiling and logging settings in Jira Server in order to see more information about the failure.

There is a class there called

com.atlassian.plugin

That is set by default to INFO level, but perhaps we could temporarily set that to DEBUG to see if we can learn more about the problems with loading this plugin.   I would not recommend leaving that package on DEBUG forever, just long enough to reproduce the problem to see if we can learn more about it.

Let me know the results or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Andy

Hartej Arora November 26, 2019

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I was late able to isolate the issue down to a package size setting on the nginx. Problem solved

Thank you!

Suggest an answer