Is there a way to display a key/description/explanatory text for (custom) fields in VIEW issue screens?

Oliver Wahler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2011

I am looking for a way to display an explanatory text or description below a custom field, in order to help users understand the meaning of values displayed.

The create/edit screens display the field's description. However I couldn't find a way to display the very same description when viewing issues.

To give a bit more context of what I try to achieve:

I have a custom field called "Impact".

This field is a single select field, which offers the numbers 1 to 5 to select from.

In the edit screen I have a description below the fields. Something like "1: Low, 2: Medium, …". And I want to see the very same description when just viewing an issue.

Question: How can I display descriptive text next to my fields in view issue screens?

SIDE NOTE

I know that the best thing from a user's point of view and would be to extend the option values to something like this:

1: low

2: medium

However, we are using the numeric values for further calculation in Jira itself (custom Javascript code via field description) as well as in external applications/databases.

And as far as I can see, Jira seems not to support to set up numeric options like this:

<option value="1">1: Low</option>

but only like this:

<option value="1:Low">1: Low</option>.

And this would require a lot of effort in changing our external programming.

Thanks a lot,

Oliver

1 answer

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2011
I can't provide any code now but i'd implement that using a speakeasy plugin extension. But a lot of things would have to done, e.g provide a rest api to get the custom field description, js code to call that and add some div to each custom field on the view screen with the description retrieved by an ajax call ...

Suggest an answer