Is there a way to block transtions for users during automation scripts execution?

Roman Zanevski April 22, 2021

Hi ladies and gentelmen!

I'am trying to set some automatic workflow and have some succes, but it may be broken by users in case of their "switch status" interference during scripts executions.

Is there a way to block transtions for users during automation scripts execution?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Roman Zanevski 

If I understand your question, you want to prevent people from transitioning issues while automation workflow and rules are running.  Is that correct?

I expect the answer is "no".  Workflow and automation rules are event-triggered, and so a person transitioning an issue could trigger a rule, or during a very narrow window of time, conflict with the automation processing.

I recommend reviewing what you are doing with automation (workflow and rules), determine where impacts could occur, and adjust your automation accordingly.

Best regards,

Bill

Roman Zanevski April 22, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy

That's correct what I meant. I tried to adjust it, do independant scripts and had some succes too, but unfortunatly user still can use some limited time window to trigger another rule and what can affect to execution of current rule( Trying to find some solution now by using properties to restrict all groups exept automation jira app in case of rule's start

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Thanks for explaining, Roman.  That is an interesting approach...  It seems you are describing checking the triggering user (or a property of them) to have the rule abandon processing in some cases.  Please post back here what you learn/decide to use.

One messy part of this use case is that once a rule is triggered and has the state of an issue, that context is used for rule execution.  If an issue's content changes *during* the rule execution it is not visible to the rule, and so could be replaced by the rule execution.  So even when a user does not trigger a rule through their actions, there can be data collision.  Using the re-fetch action can help, but it dramatically slows rule processing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events