Is there a way to block subtasks from being create under an Epic?

For hierarchical and other reasons we want Epic --> Issue (Task, Story, Bug) --> Sub-Task.  Unfortunetly new people always create Sub-tasks under an Epic, so I am looking for a way to block thar or even remove sub-tasks under Epic.

1 answer

0 vote

There is an open feature request for this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-7990

There is another post about this in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/How-to-Restrict-Creation-of-Subtask-based-on-IssueType-in-JIRA/qaq-p/525797

Some users have taken to generating a separate workflow for the subtask issue type to start with.  This isn't enough to limit their creation, but it does separate the changes to only effect those subtasks, and not all issue types.  From that point, there is a script that could be added to prevent this, but this would require the use of the scriptrunner plugin in JIRA.  In JIRA 7 the script needed would be something like

["Task", "Bug"].contains(issue.parentObject?.issueType.name)

You could then edit the create transition of that workflow and add a script validator (provided by scriptrunner), and enter this script.  That way you could limit which issue types can be used to create subtasks. 

Thanks, I am now following the issue.  And will look into the script.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

131 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you