Is there a way to automatically transition a task issue once all of it's sub tasks are completed?

Jeremy Price April 7, 2017

I have the add-on Automation for Jira so I am able to use the JQL for my inquires. I am just not sure how I can have my tasks issue transitioned after all of it's sub taks are completed. I'm not sure how to make that connection between the taks and the sub tasks. 

1 answer

1 vote
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2017

Hi Jeremy, I use an add-on called "JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions" to do this.

Use Case:  When all child issues are closed, automatically transition the parent so users won't have to do it manually.

Implementation:

In the parent issue's workflow, add a Post Function, which will only be used by this automatic process.

• Add the "Hide Transition" Condition to hide the button from regular users.
  • NOTE:  This transition cannot have any Screens or required field Validators.
  • Add a "Sub-Task Blocking Condition."  This prevents the parent from transitioning until all children are closed.
  • Example:  All sub-tasks must have one of the following statuses to allow parent issue transitions:  Closed

In the child issue's workflow, add a "Transition Parent Issue" post function to all "Close" transitions. 

• Example:  Transition X will be triggered on the issue's parent issue.  (X is the ID of the transition in the parent workflow or the transition's name if it's unique.)
  • Move the post function to the last position in the list. (This rule must run last.)
Jeremy Price April 10, 2017

This worked perfectly. Thank you for the help. 

Suggest an answer