Is there a way to automatically enter a variable into the Summary field of a submitted ticket?

Matt Seckman March 26, 2021

Is there a way to automatically enter a variable into the Summary field of a submitted ticket? We use Jira Service Desk for our internal Help Desk support. Ideally, I'd like to setup an automatically rule that would automatically include the reporter's name or their email (minus the domain), into the beginning of the summary field. For example, Jan Smith, jsmith@company.com, submits a ticket. I'd like that ticket to have "Jan Smith: " or "JSmith: " to be placed automatically at the beginning of the summary field. Is this possible, and if so, how would I set that up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

Hi @Matt Seckman , 

yes this is possible with Automation for Jira : it's included in every Jira project in Project Settings -> Automation, and you can create rules to perform various actions.

For your example, you can use what's called Smart Values to edit a ticket after it's created and include the reporter name in the title. Here's how it would look like : 

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 15.57.11.png

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

@Alexis Robert thank you so much! I just tested it, and that does work. Is there a way to remove the domain portion of the email address, using smart values? When I tested, the summary shows up as "username@domain.com: test ticket." I love it to just read "username: test ticket," instead.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

Hi @Matt Seckman , 

in this case you case use the following Smart Value : 

{{issue.reporter.displayName}}

@Alexis Robert , thanks again! That is close, but not exactly what we're looking for.

However, your recommendations helped push us in the correct direction, and my team came up with this smart value sting to put in the edit summary field, of the automated rule:

{{reporter.emailAddress.replace("@domain.com",":")}} {{issue.summary}

I tested, and this syntax works perfectly, for our organization! It uses the reporter email and replaces the domain (which is always the same, in my company) with a colon. Leaving a space between the two smart values, formats it correctly as, "username: test ticket."

This only works, if the email domain can be specified, which we can do, since all our customers are internal, and have the same email domain.

Thanks again for your help!

Fernando Sorensen April 11, 2023

I just want to add that, if someone is using the Twillio's Whatsapp Connector for Jira, the reporter is "generic" but you can extract some info in this way:

{{issue.description.left(issue.description.indexOf(" \n ")).remove("*Reporter*: ").replace("(whatsapp:"," (")}}

Basically it takes the description, return the left most part up to the "new line", remove the reporter text at the front and for some cosmetics it remove the "whatsapp:" redundant text and add a space between the name and the number.

I don't test this other option, but may work too:

{{issue.description.substringBetween("*Reporter*: "," \n ").replace("(whatsapp:"," (")}}
Elizabeth Pfotzer January 17, 2024

Is there a way to add this information retroactively? For instance, I have a series of issues and now the new Product Owner wants to go back to those issues and assign them a number and all issues numbered consecutively from the first ticket to the most current. Anyone have a solution to this?

Suggest an answer