Is there a way to allow users to move issues from backlog to sprint without giving rank permission

Shivi Gupta May 6, 2020

I need to provide the users to move issues from backlog to sprint . I have given them the permission to edit issue but they are still not able to move issues from backlog to sprint .

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

The easiest way to think of the backlog and sprint is that the sprint is simply the most highly ranked issues with a separator at the bottom of the segment. 

When you're in the backlog, you can drag things up into the sprint - this is just ranking them higher than the things you are not bringing into it.  You can also drag the separator up and down the list to change at what point it stops being a sprint - this isn't ranking issues, but you'll notice it works simply with the most highly ranked issues.

0 votes
James Chan May 4, 2022

Hi @Shivi Gupta , 

Reading the description I see you had given the person persmission to "edit issue", according to the reference link below, that person need 2 permissions, "edit issue", and "schedule issue".

You can tweak any project permission role and enable these 2 permissions, then they don't have to be an project admin.

Reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configuring-permissions-for-ranking-and-scheduling-in-jira-agile-779158923.html

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

Hi @Shivi Gupta Ranking is not a permission. Ranking needs to be enable for issues to be prioritize in the sprint backlog. This can be done in configure board page. 

Shivi Gupta May 7, 2020

Hello @Benjamin  ,

I understand what you are saying but if we give scheduling permissions to the users then they can rank as well as move the issues from backlog to the sprint . Is there any way to allow users only to move issues to sprint .

Is there a way to allow users to move issues from backlog to sprint if they are not admin ?

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2020

Yes. Another option is to add a role to the permission scheme for scheduling permission. Those users you add to the role will have that permission. This way you are not adding individual users to the permission scheme and they are not admin user. 

Suggest an answer